DJ brings mixes to the Industry

DJ Terrence Parker doesn’t set down his phone until he’s done performing.

Rather than using the device to make long-distance calls, the Detroit native has found another use for his rotary phone — he uses the handle as his headphones.

Parker will perform at The Industry, 211 Iowa Ave., at 8:30 p.m. today. Mel Richards, Sharlo, Avant Garde, Kid Taiwan, and Btsunami will open the set. Advanced admission is $10.

Because the event will mark Parker’s 10th performance in Iowa, he is set to make it a full-out anniversary affair. Free pizza from Pizza Pit and beverages by Liquor Downtown will be provided while supplies last, and prizes will be given at the door. Additionally, Parker is preparing a special present for the crowd on his anniversary.

“I have a couple of surprises planned,” wrote Parker in an e-mail to The Daily Iowan. “l always have a great time in the IC — the people are great, and I have developed many wonderful friendships.”

Ten years ago, Matt Rissi, one of Parker’s producers and fans, attended the DJ’s first Iowa performance, which took place alongside DJ Twonz in Cedar Rapids.

“Parker closed out the night and brought a house music set that will be forever burned into my memory,” Rissi said. “Explosive jacking beats that absolutely devastated that little venue. I remember sweat just dripping off of the ceiling.”

Parker’s most recent Iowa performance occurred last year at the Industry on Halloween. Chris Paxton, a local fan, was in attendance.

“Last year was my first Terrence Parker show, and I’ll tell you that it’s probably among the top three that I’ve ever been to,” Paxton said.

Since his start in 1988, DJ Terrence Parker has grounded himself as a producer, remixer, and DJ of the timeless tunes of house music.

“His track selection has grown, but his explosive mixing capabilities have stayed the course,” Risi said. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it — right?”