Iowa Review receives a face lift

Dozens of poster-size design submissions hang on the west wall of The Iowa Review’s small office nestled on the third floor of the UI English-Philosophy Building.

About to celebrate its 40th anniversary, the renowned publication’s redesign is one of the many changes editors are making to increase readership.

“We’re creating a broader scope for our magazine for our developing audience,” said Russell Valentino, who took over as editor of The Iowa Review this semester.

Readers will see the revamped cover in the April 2010 issue of the magazine, which publishes three times a year and features submissions from authors and poets living in Iowa City and across the nation. Judges will announce on Nov. 1 the winning submission, and the designer will receive $1,000 and have her or his name printed in the booklet.

The magazine is also launching its revamped website in April. Plans for the new website include a complete online archive of all previous works, staff blogs, reviews, and multimedia content.

“[The cover design and website] will reflect and complement each other,” Valentino said.

The publication’s attempt to broaden its literary borders is not in response to declining readership or funds, Valentino said. In fact, the magazine has been able to maintain those assets and expand, while similar publications nationwide are shrinking because of the faltering economy.

Louisiana State University’s The Southern Review has downsized significantly, and Northwestern University’s Triquarterly Review has gone online-only, he said.

The review, funded through the Provost’s Office, has dodged most budget woes because of its strong support at the UI, Valentino said.

“[The UI] is a huge part of keeping us afloat,” said Managing Editor Lynne Nugent as she sat in the office’s quaint and cluttered lobby area on Tuesday morning. “The university benefits from having us here by unifying a lot of writing programs on campus.”

Behind Nugent, stacks of envelopes filled a bookcase spanning the wall’s length, the wooden shelves sporting labels marked “unread,” “maybe,” and “consider.”

“We usually have a tote full of submissions in the mail every morning,” Nugent said, gesturing toward the countless stacks of paper.

In a vigorous review process, editors will narrow down more than 1,000 submissions from the “slush pile” of unopened envelopes to around 40 entries chosen for publication in the December issue.

The literary works are constantly reread and fine-tuned, Valentino said, and the help of volunteers makes the daunting task possible.

“The volunteer work is the most astounding part,” he said.

Sarah Kosch, a UI sophomore majoring in English, has interned with The Iowa Review for around two months, helping proofread submissions and other various tasks.

“I’ll stay as long as they will let me,” she said and laughed. “It’s been a lot of fun.”

While undergoing changes, The Iowa Review will remain true to the mission it started in 1970 by continuing to reach out to aspiring literary artists and provide them with an outlet, Nugent said.

“It’s important for these voices to be heard,” she said.