Rowers successful in Head of the Iowa

The Iowa rowing team dominated in its first home regatta since 2006, placing first in both the collegiate 4s and 8s at the Head of the Iowa on Sunday.

The event attracted hundreds of screaming black-and-gold-clad fans, many of them located behind the Beckwith Boathouse and along the City Park riverbank. Iowa supporters shouted I-O-W-A as the Hawkeye rowers raced by.

Head coach Mandi Kowal said the rowers’ energy level was high because of the three-year layoff for the home regatta and the completion of a $7.2 million boathouse. She said the team prepared diligently to prevent a lapse in performance in front of the Iowa faithful.

“When racing at home, I am always conscious that [the Hawkeyes] might get complacent and not prepare enough because they are on their home course,” Kowal wrote in an e-mail.

Senior rower Megan Erikson said the thrill of competing in front of a home crowd after a long absence from familiar waters was a satisfying experience.

“It was really cool to have all of the parents there, all of the donors, and everyone who’s been really involved with Iowa rowing for the past how many years,” she said. “It felt really cool to be able to defend our home turf and row out of our new boathouse.”

The Hawkeyes finished first in the collegiate 8s with an impressive time of 12:10.921 on the roughly two-mile course. Additionally, Iowa boats placed third and eighth in the event.

After a nearly two-hour wait, the Hawkeyes hit the water again, placing first in the collegiate 4s with a 13:16.808 time. Iowa also had boats finish sixth and eighth.

Sheila Renozzi, a senior coxswain and member of both first-place boats, said the goal entering the race was to start as close to Minnesota as possible before the race because the Golden Gophers swept the last Head of the Iowa regatta, in 2006.

Keeping a watchful eye on the Gophers helped the Hawkeyes gauge their speed.

“In both races we started little by little, closing that gap,” Rinozzi said. “In the 4s, we were able to pass them when we went under Park Road.”

Erikson said the solid performances by so many Iowa boats exemplifies the team’s depth. That and a familiarity with the Iowa River led to an outstanding Hawkeye showing.

“It’s nice because we know this river — every turn, every corner, every straightaway, and every bridge,” she said. “It was great for breaking up this race course mentally when you know where the next upcoming bridge is, when the next turn is, or where certain landmarks are.”

With only one regatta left, the Hawkeyes hope their Sunday success will provide momentum heading into the Head of the Notre Dame on Nov. 1.

Rinozzi said competition will be fierce in South Bend, Ind., with an ample number of Big Ten foes participating, which may set the tone for the team’s weekend training.

“We’re super excited we’re going to see a bunch of Big Ten schools next weekend,” she said. “The way we end next weekend will kind of put a statement for our winter training, so the next couple of days are really crucial to our performance.”