H1N1 illnesses cause unheard of absences

Iowa City School District officials are struggling with an unprecedented level of sickness absences this month.

Hundreds of students in the district have missed class because of influenza-like illnesses, a trend seen across the state.

“This is unique,” said Polly Carver-Kimm, a spokeswoman for the Iowa Department of Public Health. “It’s the first time we’ve experienced [absences] on this level.”

Carver-Kimm said 316 Iowa schools reported 10 or more percent absenteeism this week, down from last week’s 419 schools.

In wake of the high number of illness-related absences, district officials have asked schools to report their absentee percentages if they climb above 10 percent. Those percentages must also be turned in to the Johnson County Public Health Department.

Two weeks ago, more than 100 students visited City High’s nurse’s office during a single day, with about half eventually sent home, said school Principal Mark Hanson.

The increase in these type of visits have become commonplace in recent weeks because of the suspected presence of H1N1 influenza in area elementary and secondary schools across the country.

As of Thursday, 194 Michigan schools have closed because of H1N1, according to the Associated Press.

In addition to general problems within the classroom, the Iowa City School District has found the last two weeks particularly difficult because of the administration of the Iowa Tests of Educational Development. Under the national “No Child Left Behind” policy, schools are required to test all of their students.

High absenteeism hasn’t made this an easy task.

The U.S. Department of Education could provide time waivers if needed, said Elaine Watkins-Miller, a spokeswoman for the Iowa Department of Education.

Absenteeism has fluctuated from school to school in Iowa City. And officials said it is affecting classes.

“If teachers have several students from one section missing, they have to modify the class,” Hanson said. “Plans have to be made for students coming back. [Teachers] may have to reteach concepts the next day.”

More than 470 of City High’s nearly 1,400 students were absent on Oct. 7. However, he acknowledged some absences may not have been related to influenza-like illnesses.

Hanson said he believes many of the school’s illnesses were passed between students at the Homecoming dance on Oct. 3. The event attracted between 700 and 800 students.

At West High, the situation is less severe. However, Principal Jerry Arganbright said the school is at an 8 percent absenteeism rate, up slightly from 4 percent a few weeks ago.

“It’s an extra obligation,” he said. “It’s clearly extra time for teachers. They have extra work and energy making sure kids keep up.”

As far as the possibility of school closures, Susie Poulton, director of health services in the district, doesn’t think they’re to that point yet.

Closures can only occur if the Johnson County Department of Public Health recommend it or a school loses enough staff members.

“We’re really encouraging people to stay home if they’re ill and until they’re fever-free for 24 hours,” she said.