16 apply for supervisor seat

Former UI Student Government President Maison Bleam would be the first student to serve on the Johnson County Board of Supervisors if selected.

Bleam is one of 16 candidates to apply for the vacant supervisor’s seat, which opened when Supervisor Larry Meyers died in September. The county auditor, assessor, and treasurer will decide who will fill the seat — unless a grass-root movement demanding that the county hold a special election to fill the seat is successful in garnering 7,299 signatures.

The three officials will review and interview applicants over the next two weeks; they are scheduled to choose one by Oct. 26.

“There are weaknesses to every candidate — my weakness is that I am going to be a young individual,” Bleam said. “But this could also be seen as a strength. I come with an open mind and a young adult perspective.”

Johnson County Treasurer Tom Kriz said he thinks Bleam might be the first student to have applied to the board but said he’s evaluating all candidates equally.

“I am looking for someone who shows a passion to be a public servant,” he said. “Because I am so involved with finance, I’ll look deeper to anyone with financial experience.”

Bleam cited his position in UISG and service on the both the Johnson County United Way Board of Directors and Iowa City’s Youth Advisory Commission.

“I would like to think I have as good of a shot as other candidates,” Bleam said.

But Bleam is facing a field of competitors, some of whom have city- and county-level experience, including a former supervisor and a current Iowa City city councilor.

“I’ve served the city for 12 years and … I just really like public service,” said City Councilor Mike O’Donnell, adding he has been in agreement with much of the board’s recent activity.

Not all of the applicants have the government background O’Donnell does, though.

“I don’t have any experience other than watching them and observing — disagreeing with them substantially on many issues,” said applicant James Knapp, who ran for the board in 2004.

Knapp said he was concerned about the county raising taxes in poor economic times and favors community development in the South Side of Iowa City.

The other candidates are Kenya Badgett, Ron Bandy, Norman Bickford, Terry Dahms, Karen Dils, John Green, Michael Lehman, Charles Panzer, Cindy Phillips, Gregory Pickett, Cami Jo Rasmussen, Janelle Rettig, and Edgar Thornton.

If none of the applicants appeal to the public, Johnson County residents have another option; citizens can petition for a special election up to three weeks after the appointment. The petition must contain at least 7,299 signatures, and Kriz said a special election would cost the county $75,000.

Kriz anticipates the process of appointing a new supervisor to be more time consuming than costly. He said it may not be feasible to interview all of the candidates. Still, he said he is confident they will find the right person.

“Usually, once you go through the process there is probably three to five that stand out,” Kriz said. “Generally, someone rises to the top.”