Conference offers Midwest view on energy

While talk of budget cuts and greenhouse gases swirls, energy experts will converge on the UI campus today for a sustainable symposium, Energy and Climate Change in the Midwest: Creating opportunities in the New Economy.”

The symposium, held today and Saturday, will put a Midwest focus on discussion of climate change and the economic benefits of going green.

“[The issue is] critically important and hasn’t been addressed enough because we as a country have not been at the point where we are willing to discuss it seriously,” said Jonathan Carlson, a senior associate to the UI president.

The symposium, to be held at the Athletics Club, 1360 Melrose Ave., will address a slew of topics from energy efficiency to governments’ energy policies.

A task force co-chaired by UI President Sally Mason suggested the symposium, Carlson said. The group found the 12 Midwest states are responsible for about 5 percent of the world’s greenhouse-gas emissions.

Because of a heavy reliance on coal, regulations such as the cap-and-trade, which puts a price on excess carbon emissions, could challenge Iowa’s ingenuity.

The conference would discuss economic opportunities such as using crop materials as fuel and coal alternatives, said UI Professor Jerald Schnoor, who helped to plan the event.

Along with wind, solar, and biofuel sources, coal will be a major point of discussion — and contention.

“Coal is two times dirtier than anything else,” Schnoor said. “Only if we can successfully contain carbon emissions should there be a future for coal. And that’s a big if … There is enough wind, solar, and alternative energy that coal is not really in the future.”

As these technologies advance, green-collar jobs expand.

For example, wind technology has already brought thousands of jobs to Iowa, Carlson said.

“These jobs never existed before, and suddenly they are here, and we have to help people figure out what that means,” he said.

According to the UI Public Policy Center, approximately 170 people are registered to attend the symposium, including 20 UI students. Registration will continue before the event. Tickets cost $50 a day, $25 a day for full-time students.

Officials encourage students to attend, but they recognize barriers stood in the way.

“Sometimes, things like the symposium are held at times when people like me can go, which might not be so student-friendly, “ said UI associate research scientist Craig Just, who teaches Introduction to Sustainability and canceled class to help clear student schedules.

“It is unlikely that the speakers will have an ‘ah, ha’ moment while they are speaking to each other,” he said. “They are all very informed individuals. But students have an opportunity to learn a lot.”

Other officials recognized the importance of including students in the discussion.

“We are at the cusp of changes in how energy is produced,” said Sen. Joe Bolkcom, D-Iowa City, who is also the outreach and community education director for the Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research. “We need all of our best minds focused on how to adopt new energy and address climate change.”