Football midterm report card

The Hawkeyes have reached the halfway point in their 2009 season, and UI students are cramming for midterms. With this in mind, here are The Daily Iowan’s midterm grades for the No. 11 Iowa Hawkeyes.

Quarterbacks — B

Besides his three pick-sixes, junior Ricky Stanzi has been more than serviceable for the Hawkeyes, completing nearly 60 percent of his passes. Stanzi has been the catalyst for the team’s good performance.

Running Backs — B+

The freshman tandem of Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher in the backfield has been a pleasant surprise for Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes. Their most impressive stat may be that neither has had a fumble yet this season.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends — A-

The Hawkeyes have gotten production from plenty of playmakers — tight end Tony Moeaki, wide receiver Marvin McNutt, Trey Stross, Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, Allen Reisner, Keen Davis, and Colin Sandeman.

Offensive Line — A-

Riley Reiff played admirably in place of Bryan Bulaga, and has now earned his very own starting spot at guard. With Reiff, Dace Richardson, and Julian Vandervelde the Hawkeyes have versatile depth up front.

Defensive Line — A

Iowa’s stout front four — Adrian Clayborn, Christian Ballard, Karl Klug, and Broderick Binns — are riling their competitors with every push, grab, tackle, and sack on Saturdays. Klug has totaled 27 tackles and forced two fumbles so far this season.

Linebackers — A

Veteran leaders A.J. Edds’ and Pat Angerer’s efforts combined have totaled 96 tackles in the Hawkeyes’ six-game stretch. Weakside linebacker Jeremiha Hunter recently accounted for 12 tackles, an interception, and a fumble recovery in the 30-28 Iowa victory.

Secondary — B+

There are times when they occasionally get beat, but the guys in the Iowa secondary have a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and nine of the Hawkeyes’ 12 interceptions this season have come from the secondary.

Special Teams — A+

In the opener, the Hawkeyes blocked two-consecutive Northern Iowa field goals in the final seven seconds. Against Penn State, Adrian Clayborn’s 53-yard punt block returned for a touchdown. Ryan Donahue is shaping up to be one of the best punters in the country.

Coaching — A

In-game adjustments make the coaching staff shine. The coaches dealt with their fair share of injuries this year. Their ability to make player transitions appear seamless is a testament to the job they’ve has done this season.

Overall — A

Being 6-0 for the first time in 24 years speaks for itself.