Missing UI student possibly found in Cedar Rapids

A rescue search team believes it found the body of missing UI student Jacques Similhomme on Oct. 10 along the Cedar River.

According to Cedar Rapids police, authorities found the body near Tait Cummins Park, where Prairie Creek empties into the Cedar River.

Volunteer rescuers organized by Simihomme’s family found the body partially in the water along the shore around 2 p.m. on Oct. 10, according to police.

Police said they cannot confirm the body is Similhomme, a 28-year-old business student at the UI. An autopsy will be completed later this week to determine the cause of death and a positive identification.

Similhomme was last seen in Coralville on Sept. 28, and his car was found in Cedar Rapids on Sept. 30. Police said he made threats to harm himself to his girlfriend before his disappearance.

The Coralville and Cedar Rapids police are jointly investigating the missing-person report, according to a news release.

UI officials did not notify the university community nor the business school of Simihomme’s disappearance.

“If any [business] associate deans were notified, I would have been as well,” said Charles Whiteman, an associate dean of the Tippie College of Business.

Under the university’s missing-student policy, students are encouraged to choose a confidential contact to help officials find the student if they go missing. The policy does not say anything about notifying the university community.

UI spokesman Tom Moore said he was unsure if the UI police are involved in the investigation.