Fan arrested for harassing football player

Iowa City police arrested a UI student was arrested after she allegedly harassing a football player during the game against Arkansas State on Oct. 3, according to Iowa City police.

Hawkeye defensive end Adrian Clayborn is requesting a no-contact order against UI student Brittney Mears, who was charged with third-degree harassment, a simple misdemeanor.

Mears reportedly yelled Clayborn’s name repeatedly throughout the first three quarters of the game while sitting in the front row of Kinnick Stadium behind the players’ bench.

Clayborn, who has 17 tackles and three sacks so far this season, told police the yelling distracted and annoyed him. He recorded two tackles, two sacks, and one forced fumble during the game.

Mears was removed from the game after two warnings for the harassment before she was charged.

The Oct. 3 harassment came after two earlier incidents. Mears was first warned against making contact with Clayborn on June 28 but allegedly continued to drive by his work while staring at him, according to police.

She was then charged with third-degree harassment for a July 27 incident when she allegedly sent a suggestive text message to Clayborn. She received a deferred judgment.

UI officials did not return calls on whether the incident was reported to the Office of Student Services.

At the UI, 31 cases of assault, threat, harassment, and dangerous conduct were reported to Student Services in 2007, the most recent year available.

Lewd text messages would fall under the UI’s sexual-misconduct policy as “verbal abuse of a sexual nature” whether verbal, written, or electronic.

As of Wednesday, Mears was not being held at the Johnson County Jail.

DI reporters Danny Valentine and Regina Zilbermints contributed to this report.