More cyclists cited for violations

Biking down Washington Street, Jeremy Gilbert realized too late the street had become one-way.

Though new to Iowa City, he knew biking on sidewalks is illegal and decided to continue down the road.

The 31-year-old soon had two tickets — costing him nearly $80 each — courtesy of the Iowa City police. Gilbert was charged with biking the wrong way down a one-way and turning too soon at a red light.

“Now I know that Washington turns into a one-way,” he said. “I just wish I didn’t have to pay $160 to learn it.”

Though each ticket was only $15, court costs pushed the total price higher.

Gilbert was one of three bikers cited this past weekend. Between January and August, 52 bikers were cited by Iowa City police. In all of 2008, officers issued 43 bicycle violations.

Iowa City police Sgt. Troy Kelsay said there is no department-wide requirement to crack down on bicycle violators, but some officers have elected to focus on issuing bike violations.

“It isn’t a priority-type call, but it’s something officers pay attention to,” Kelsay said.

Kelsay said Officers Ed McMartin and Dan Roth have issued the majority of bicycle violations in the past months.

Roth, an avid bicyclist himself, said he is strict on bicycle offenders because he knows how dangerous biking can be, and he points out that motorists often cannot see bikers.

“Cyclists have a bad stereotype,” he said. “And if we want to have the respect every cyclist demands, we have to show we respect the rules of the road.”

Roth, who bikes five miles to work every day, said common sense should play a big role in a person’s biking decisions.

“If you wouldn’t run a red light in a car, don’t do it on a bike,” he said. “In fact, it’s probably more dangerous to do on a bike.”

But he said he is not trying to discourage potential bikers. Rather, he said, he encourages people to hit the roads on two wheels.

“I’m happy bikers have chosen that mode of transportation,” he said. “It’s good for the environment and very convenient.”

Kelsay said officers aren’t aiming to issue as many citations as possible but are focused on improving bikers’ behavior.

Gilbert, who received no warning from the officer, said the fine seems steep.

He left his former job and moved to Iowa City to pursue a degree at the UI. The second-year student has no extra financial support to get him through school, he said.

“That $160 has devastated me for three months now,” he said. “It’s the difference between whether I have to eat ramen noodles.”