A different tailgate

Black and gold lit up the 50-yard line 775 miles from State College, Pa., Sept. 26 in the IMU’s Hubbard Commons.

UI Student Government is working with the Campus Activities Board and other student organizations to increase the number of nonalcoholic activities on campus.

UISG put on the UI’s first-ever 50-Yard Line Game Watch Party during Saturday’s victory over Penn State. UISG Vice President JD Moran said approximately 70 sober students enjoyed free pizza and watched on big screens as the Hawkeyes shocked the nation.

“It was a pretty great turnout,” Moran said. “We didn’t expect that many people.”

Earlier this year, an Alcohol Safety Summit and the creation of the Alcohol Steering Committee — chaired by Iowa City Mayor Regenia Bailey and UI Provost Wallace Loh — explored problems with binge drinking among students.

Attendees discussed different ways to curb over-consumption but agreed student participation in these areas is key to success in decreasing the number of alcohol-related problems.

Last year, former UISG President Maison Bleam pushed the idea of a dry tailgate. However, the event would have cost around $70,000 — an amount that couldn’t be justified by UISG or UI officials.

Use of the IMU Commons was provided free of charge and the only cost of the event to the organizers was pizza — under $200.

UI junior Kristin Fuhs, a therapeutic recreation major who attended the event, said, “There were a lot of students; I was impressed by the number of people.”

UISG hopes to make the 50-Yard Line a tradition for away games, and the event may take place at some home games, such as this weekend’s meeting with Arkansas State.

“We’re definitely going to do it again,” Moran said. “It was great to see that kind of scene, outside of a bar.”

Though mostly UI students attended the event, as the game went on students and IMU patrons alike crowded around the screens to catch the finale of the upset victory.

“There were a couple of weddings going on,” said UISG member Molly McAndrew, who helped organize the event. “One of the brides caught the end of the game in her wedding dress.”’