New voices for Iowa City Police Citizen’s Review Board

Vershawn Young wanted to level the playing field between police and citizens, and Joe Treloar wanted to ensure the two groups get a fair representation.

Both were looking for a way to serve their community.

Now they are the newest members of the Iowa City Police Citizen’s Review Board, a five-member group chosen by the city council to investigate alleged police misconduct.

Treloar, a 10-year veteran residential counselor with the Coralville-based Hope House correctional facility, said he is coming to the board ready to judge objectively. Young, a UI rhetoric professor, is anxious to add a different voice to the mix.

“The Police Citizens Review Board is attractive because it is a way to have a voice on matters that assist people who have little local prestige or authority,” Young said. “I wanted to be able to add my voice and training in rhetoric and add my perspective.”

He said it’s important to have a variety of viewpoints on the board, adding there has been a large amount of angry and vile racial language used recently in the Iowa City community.

One incident in 2006 made Young interested in police conduct. Police stopped him while he was walking down the street one morning. He thought the stop wasn’t justified, but he didn’t know where to file a complaint and eventually sent it to the police chief.

Young helped organize a group of people seeking answers to visit the police station following the death of John Deng, a 26-year-old transient man killed in a confrontation with law enforcement on July 24.

He has also been vocal on the proposed Iowa City curfew, saying it would disproportionately subject blacks to greater scrutiny than other groups.

Treloar said throughout his career, which included a stint in law enforcement, he has always appreciated being in the public eye.

“I have no agendas — I’m coming in with a clean slate,” he said. “My concern is making sure there is fair and honest representation.”

Treloar hasn’t followed the board very closely over the years, he said, and submitted his application after being notified of the opening.

“I think it’s going to be a fun and interesting way to serve the community,” he said.