Development issues bring 10 University Heights council hopefuls

University Heights residents are gearing up for what could be the town’s biggest City Council election in its 74-year history.

In the small community nestled on West Side of Iowa City, 10 council hopefuls are competing for five open seats, along with two candidates for mayor in the Nov. 3 election.

“I’m really happy so many candidates are running; it’s good for democracy,” University Heights resident Rebecca Reiter said.

Those involved in the election say a development issue last spring involving the relocation of St. Andrew Church, 1300 Melrose Ave., may be a factor in the sudden interest in city government.

Development plans once threatened to relocate the church to Camp Cardinal Road in Iowa City and replace it with a mixed-commercial area made up of stores and condominiums.

While proponents said the new development would bring more money to the town, many residents opposed the idea because of the potential traffic congestion, noise, and light pollution.

The council eventually shot down the development project on a 3-2 vote. A supermajority by four of the five members is required to pass ordinances in University Heights.

Councilor Stan Laverman, who is running for re-election, said he believes the St. Andrew redevelopment issue sparked an interest in residents to run for local office.

“I’m a big believer in a sense of community,” he said. “Where neighbors know neighbors.”

All five of the current councilors are running for re-election in November, in addition to the five challengers. University Heights Mayor Louise From is running for re-election against resident Al Leff.

Voters elected Andrew Dudler, a UI alumnus, to the council in 2008. He said he is running for re-election “to serve the residents of University Heights and to serve their interests.”

According to the Johnson County Auditor’s Office, voter turnout in University Heights peaked at nearly 50 percent in 2005 because of a controversial library contract with Iowa City and Coralville.

In 2007, voter turnout was 34.8 percent and a meager 7.6 percent in 2003.

Pat Yeggy, city historian and candidate for a council seat, said she predicts University Heights will have the largest turnout in its history because of the number of people running.

Iowa City’s population is around 80 times larger than University Heights’ roughly 1,000 residents, yet the number of candidates running in University Heights is nearly double the number in the Iowa City City Council race. Seven people ran in University Heights’ last election.

Other issues spurring conversation include a construction site on the border of University Heights and Iowa City.

The construction project is on Iowa City’s side of the border, but the only access to the condos would be through University Heights on Marietta Avenue, Olive Court, and Leamer Court.

As he walked his black Scottish terrier near the project site, Al Thomas said the project has caused some unrest among University Heights’ residents.

But Thomas, who has lived on the border of University Heights and Iowa City for the past 25 years, said he has no problem with the construction.

“I think it’s as good of use of the land it can get,” he said.

Aden Beihl, who lives next door to the construction site, said his only complaint was the construction trucks parked across from his house, which he asked be moved.

“It’s disappointing that all the trees are gone,” he said.