Supervisor Larry Meyers dies at 58

Larry Meyers, the Johnson County supervisor known for his work to preserve the area’s northern quarter, died Tuesday. He was 58.

Meyers learned he had cancer just after serving his first year on the board in 2006, said Johnson County Supervisor Terrence Neuzil. Meyers died in the hospice unit of Mercy Hospital, where he had been staying for a week.

Those who knew Meyers say he had a strong commitment to his responsibilities on the board despite having to deal with numerous cancer treatments.

“He would go to chemotherapy, and later in the day, he would be in a board meeting,” Neuzil said.

“He was very committed to doing what was right for our area,” said Hayworth, who served with Meyers on the Board of Directors for the Iowa City Area Chamber of Commerce. “He was always very willing to talk to people about any issue and do what he thought was right.”

Johnson County Supervisor Sally Stutsman agreed.

“He was a hard worker, always contributing. He knew the issues and responded well to constituents in his short time [on the board],” she said.

Voters elected Meyers to the board in 2006 based on his stance on a proposed Newport Road expansion. Many residents wanted to prevent the expansion from altering the layout of their community, Neuzil said.

And Meyers gave the voters what they wanted. He cast the deciding vote on the Board of Supervisors to prevent the road from being widened.

His contributions did not end there, Stutsman said.

“Everyone was concerned that he was a one-issue candidate, but he really took it upon himself to learn about all of county government,” she said.

His focus on local issues soon showed the community he was serious.

“He was a strong advocate for local issues. Lots of people try to live up to that, but I think he was just very good at it,” Hayworth said.

Meyers had been in line to take over Neuzil’s position as chairman of the Board of Supervisors; Stutsman said she is now in that role.

The Johnson County treasurer, auditor, and recorder will now fill the vacancy on the board at their discretion.

Johnson County Auditor Tom Slockett said he is planning to meet with the treasurer and recorder Thursday, and they will decide whether to hold a special election or to appoint someone to the position. Slockett said the public can petition if they want to hold an election.