‘Old’ Coralville to upgrade

Coralville may now be known for its bustling mall and seemingly endless new commercial developments, but officials are looking to revitalize another, less familiar part of the city — Old Town Coralville.

The Coralville City Council is considering two plans concerning the area’s development. The councilors have yet to make any decisions, but they said they want the area to become a bigger attraction for the city.

The part of Coralville known as “Old Town” is bordered by Highway 6 on the south, Fourth Avenue on the west, Fifth Street to the north, and the Iowa River on the east.

The flood of 2008 greatly affected the region, and it now sits virtually empty. Old Town has the potential to be a good mixture between commercial and residential space, said Coralville Mayor Jim Fausett. He also hopes renovation to the area will encourage people to move back to the abandoned neighborhood.

Faussett said the city hopes to start construction as early as the spring of 2010.

“[Currently] we are meeting with people and getting ideas of what people would like to see in that area,” he said.

City officials are looking to build a commercial mixed-use development area, which could serve as a residential and business hub. Plans call for townhouses, residential homes, condominiums, some small offices, and a few retail businesses including restaurants to be built in the area.

Mitch Gross, a Coralville city councilor, said he is excited about rebuilding Old Town.

“To many residents, when we think Coralville, that’s where it all began,” he said.

He believes the new Old Town area will be a community attraction, he said, a place where the public can visit for shopping, eating, and entertainment.

“I see this as an area of destination, a recreation component [for the community],” Gross said, and he hopes parents will be able to bring their kids back to the neighborhood once it is rebuilt.

A Community Development Block Grant and a federal program that offers communities resources to help with development needs will mostly fund the rebuilding. The state is providing funding as well through I-JOBS and private developers.

While upscaling Old Town Coralville, officials will take precautions to protect against future flood damage. Berms, raised banks that act as barriers, and pumping stations will secure the area. Fausett said the precautions could give areas additional flood protection that wasn’t present during the 2008 flood.

City Councilor John Weihe explained he is eager for the area’s development. Potentially, the area will offer a variety of conveniences and public transportation for residents, possibly eliminating the need for a car in the area.

Although Old Town will likely see new development, other areas purchased by FEMA will remain green space permanently.