New administrative search underway, three others continue

The UI’s national search for a chief diversity officer is set to begin in two weeks. The hiring, along with the search for a vice president for Strategic Communications, will complete President Sally Mason’s administrative team.

Provost Wallace Loh, who leads the search, said he has created job requirements for the chief diversity officer, and the UI will start nationally advertising the job in two weeks.

The officer will report directly to the president and provost.

The vice president for Strategic Communications, Loh said, will be a vital part of the Office of University Relations. The vice president will be responsible for the roughly 30 people who work in the office.

“There’s a lot of communication involving the university,” he said. “There are the press and media, publications, communication with parents, Board of Regents, internal communications. Somebody has to orchestrate all of this, and there is no one right now.”

The university has received more than 200 applications so far for the position.

After officials narrow down the applicants, three to five candidates for each position will come to the UI campus for an interview. Officials should have their list of candidates for both positions by the end of this semester, Loh said.

Along with these searches, officials are still looking for an ombudsperson and associate provost for faculty.

David Drake, the search committee co-chairman in the search for the associate provost for faculty, said the searches are advancing smoothly.

“All the applicants [for the vice president for Strategic Communications position] look really good,” Drake said. “We have applicants from all over the country. It’s a great market.”

Five vice presidents representing areas across campus are now serving under Mason, Loh, and Senior Vice President for Finance Doug True. They meet with Mason once per week, discussing everything from the budget to academics, Loh said. Athletics Director Gary Barta and UI Foundation President Lynette Marshall, who is responsible for university fundraising, also attend the meetings.

“There is no more important task than how well the university runs,” Loh said. “How smoothly, how effectively, and how responsive to students [we are] all depends on who is running the show.”

All searches are set to be complete by December, when officials will present candidates to Mason for approval.