Man alleges gang connection

A North Liberty man arrested last week after allegedly growing marijuana for a national gang said he was a member of Iowa City’s homegrown gang the Broadway Goons, according to North Liberty police.

This would be the first time the Iowa City gang has been found connected to another, but Iowa City police said they find the claim extremely hard to believe.

Jason Austin, 25, was arrested Sept. 16 when North Liberty police allegedly found around 30 drying marijuana plants in his house during a search under a warrant. He said he was growing the plants for the New Breed Gangster Disciples.

Police charged him with criminal-gang participation, possession of a controlled substance, and failure to affix a drug stamp — all Class D felonies — as well as possession of drug paraphernalia, a simple misdemeanor.

As of Monday, he was being held at the Johnson County Jail on a $27,500 cash-only bond.

Austin told police that a gang paid him $3,200 to $4,000 to grow the plants. He also showed police several gang tattoos, according to North Liberty police.

But Iowa City police Sgt. Mike Brotherton said it seems unusual a 25-year-old would be a member of a gang whose members are primarily between 12 and 17 years old.

Brotherton said the gang was largely disbanded, with much of the leadership still incarcerated following an Aug. 5 reported riot in southeastern Iowa City.

“It seems a little far-fetched for the time,” he said.

Brotherton had no idea why Austin would admit to being a member of the gang, but said an Iowa City officer will likely interview the man to find out more information.

— by Danny Valentine