Help for county medical examiner should be on the way

The recent news of the overworked Johnson County Medical Examiner’s Department highlights the brutal truth that reality is nothing like an episode of “Law and Order.” The department has experienced a sharp uptick of cases in the last half-decade, and that trend has continued so far this year. County officials point out that this increase is nothing new: In a state with an aging population, death is commonplace. And the collaboration between the department and the UI Hospitals and Clinics has helped, achieving a level of work unimaginable eight years ago.

Still, budgetary woes have significantly constrained the department. When the county Board of Supervisors begins crafting its fiscal 2011 budget this winter, it should consider adding a part-time examiner.

The department is composed of the chief medical examiner, administrator, two full-time investigators, and four on-call investigators. In 2003, the office handled 183 cases. Last year, that number catapulted to 531 — almost triple in five years.

An impetuously negative reaction regarding this undesirable situation is understandable. Public agencies, like police or fire, are necessities. The Medical Examiner’s Office falls into that category as well. On a day-to-day basis, the agency deals with issues that affect not only the lives of family members dealing with their recently departed loved ones, but the court system as well. Due process in our country and county requires the expediency of results.

The supervisors have jurisdiction over any personnel changes in the department, but Supervisor Terrence Neuzil said the county rarely authorizes any employment increases outside of the winter budget cycle.

County officials, like all government officials, have had to become more fiscally responsible during the recession. While most departments are not immune to this, the Medical Examiner’s Office has had the highest staff-number increase over the last few years, Neuzil said. The county has upgraded positions within the department, including the once part-time medical secretary position.

Adding staff is not the only action the county has taken to aid this all-important office. Officials also increased the office’s funding for social services by $8,000. This money goes toward grief counseling for families that have lost a family member, including those who are experiencing the emotional effects of suicide. These changes improve the efficacy of the department and are to be applauded.

Regardless of monetary concerns, all solutions toward making the department’s job easier are not only necessary but vital to the process of our government and judicial system. When the grief of a family is involved, any expense is not enough. Unfortunately, we live in a world based on numbers, revenue, and funding. Aware of these moribund numbers, county officials have largely done what they can for this very important public office.

It is clear that county supervisors are cognizant of the issue at hand, evidenced in their efforts to use what little funds they have to help out the Medical Examiner’s Department. They must continue to find new ways to provide the same services Johnson County residents expect, but at a lower cost.

When economic recessions hit and revenues drop, governments rightly cut spending. But even in tough times, vital services shouldn’t be cut, and overworked personnel in paramount areas should be aided.