Bowling alley planned for IMU

The IMU provided a quiet environment for the few students scattered throughout on Sunday, three of whom agreed theunion could use some more excitement.

“It seems dormant,” said UI sophomore Mark Schwenker.

Doug True, the UI senior vice president for Finance, presented a plan to the state Board of Regents at its meeting last week that included the addition of a bowling alley to the basement of the IMU.

Though the Federal Emergency Management Agency will cover much of the cost to restore the IMU, the funds for a bowling alley would come from the university’s pocket.

The trio of students was glad to hear that UI officials have plans to provide the option to students. A bowling alley would create an alternative to alcohol, Schwenker said.

“It would definitely give some life to [the IMU],” he said.

The facility will also be very convenient for students who don’t have cars on campus, said UI sophomore Carolyn Kelly.

Students have been asking for a bowling alley, True said, and he and other UI officials want to make it happen.

UI students have been without a fully functioning student union since the floods of 2008 caused an estimated $20 million in damage to the building.

“We want to make [the IMU] nice for students,” True said. “And this is a good opportunity to do that.”

The Federal Emergency Management Agency will provide funding for 90 percent of eligible costs for the reconstruction of the IMU, True said. FEMA money, along with insurance funds, will cover the cost of restoring the union and building flood-prevention structures.

Officials have not provided a timeline for the IMU’s completion, but they said chances are the restoration won’t be finished until at least 2013.

The addition of alleys will provide possibilities for recreation including league play, open play, cosmic bowling, intramurals, and physical-education classes.

Iowa State University has a bowling alley in its Memorial Union, a popular hangout for students.

UI student Benjamin Zhang, a sophomore from China, said a bowling alley would be a welcome addition to on-campus student life.

He expressed excitement at the possibility of a new place to “ hang out.”

“The more [places] the better,” he said.

The bowling alley is still in the early stages of planning, said David Grady, the UI associate vice president for University Life Centers.

“It’s something students have asked for, and we’re hoping to make it work for them,” he said. “It provides an alternative activity for students that we hope they will take advantage of.”