Riverside Theatre Musical a doggone good time

There are no bones about it — Sean Grennan’s musical A Dog’s Life tells the tail-waggin’ tale of the trials and tribulations of being canine.

The Riverside Theatre, 213 N. Gilbert St., opened its 2009-10 season on Sept. 11 with this uplifting and, at times, heartbreaking adventure.

The musical begins with a dog, later named Jack, describing his now “simple” life by leading the audience through his somewhat tragic past, which includes abusive owners and a life on the streets.

Jack is played by David Tull, who audience members might remember from Riverside Theatre’s productions of The Comedy of Errors and The Winter’s Tale.

Jack takes us to a day at the pound, where he meets two companions — Little Dog, played by Mary Bryant (who has been seen in other Riverside Theatre productions, including Private Lives and Still Life with Iris), and Big Dog, played by Steven Perkins (who returns to the Riverside Theatre stage after his début in this summer’s Richard III). These misfits have yet to be adopted because of their faulty behaviors. Little Dog is an annoying terrier, and Big Dog is referred to as a “sleepy breed.” The three share stories of their troubles with the outside world while hoping for adoption.

Eventually, a man named Joel, played by Jim VanValen (seen in Riverside’s production of Stones in His Pockets), stops by the pound, succumbs to Jack’s puppy-dog charm, and, after some due song and dance, eventually adopts him. What follows is a witty and hilarious comedy about the ups and downs of having a dog in the modern world.

This lovable joy ride inspires laughs from the very beginning, covering every dog joke in the book — from butts to Shi Tzus to a song simply titled “Bacon.” It will have you laughing out loud for the entire duration of the musical.

But A Dog’s Life will also tug at your heartstrings. Seen through a puppy’s eyes, the story shows that not all aspects of dog ownership are as obvious as they seem — little things such as leaving your dog while you go to the store or taking your dog for a walk are a huge deal for Jack and his canine crew.

Even taking the dog to the vet, although trivial to the owner in this musical, becomes a hilarious and sadistic nightmare for Jack, who fights to keep what’s closest to him — his “gonads.”

As the story progresses, the bond between man and dog becomes stronger, and the audience can’t help but fall in love with these comical and heartwarming characters. John Kaufmann, the director of A Dog’s Life, brings us a cast that will not be soon forgotten among avid Iowa City theater-goers. Their obvious chemistry and love for the art is apparent onstage, making the overall experience enjoyable.

In all, A Dog’s Life delivers a humorous, yet thought-provoking performance that will make people want to adopt puppies of their own.