New Saferide route sees few riders

Students now have another option of getting to and from downtown on weekend nights, but many have yet to discover the new service.

The East Side Loop Saferide — which runs Friday and Saturday from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. — started this fall as a way to get students home safely. But the program hasn’t yet seen many riders.

On the night of Sept. 12, a little more than a dozen passengers took the new route.

But members of UI Student Government, who worked with Cambus to add the additional route, are hopeful they will soon see more interest.

Student Government President Michael Currie said the idea originated with last year’s government, but he continued to make sure it started as planned.

“We [didn’t] have a route that goes out [to the East Side] — the only option was Nite Ride,” he said.

Student Government members proposed the idea to the Parking Transportation Advising Committee last year and asked for Cambus support.

“It’s something that we thought had value,” said Brian McClatchey, manager of Cambus. “Student Government provided funding for it; it’s supported by the Parking Transportation Advising Committee and it’s our hope that it will succeed.”

Student Government members are now working to send out a mass e-mail later this week to inform students about the service, as well as put up advertisements around campus. They have also visited several sororities to inform girls about the new transportation.

“I would really encourage students to use it,” Currie said. “I want them to use it if they need it, and I think a lot of students, once they know about it, will be happy.”

The night of Sept. 12 was relatively slow for Saferide driver Steve Lexa, a former Daily Iowan photographer who recently graduated from the UI. But he said he’s confident the numbers will rise.

“I bet you we can get a lot of riders,” he said over music blaring through the bus’ speakers.

While no one seemed to be waiting at bus stops for Lexa’s arrival, most passengers came aboard after spotting the bus from afar and asking if it went close to downtown.

The bars were a favorite destination for patrons, but Lexa said the route is ideal for getting to house parties. Nine sorority houses are on the East Side of town, along with hundreds of apartments.

UI junior Lori Hopper, who hopped on the bus with a group of friends on Sept. 12, said she was excited about not having to pay to take a cab downtown.

“I feel safer going downtown knowing the university will get me there just because they will keep me safe,” she said.

Danielle Jarrell, a sophomore at the UI, said she hadn’t heard of the route but thinks it’s beneficial for students living off-campus.

“It’s really great to have an option instead of walking, and it’s a great opportunity to make the campus safe,” she said.

Cambus estimates the new route costs up to $7,500 a semester. McClatchey said this year is acting as a trial for the service — if interest continues to be low, the route could be eliminated.

Officials will analyze the East Side Loop Saferide at the end of the year to see if the program should continue or discuss what needs to be adjusted, he said.