Mason talks alcohol issues, H1N1

The Daily Iowan sat down with UI President Sally Mason to discuss increased class sizes, alcohol-related issues, and transparency on budget concerns.

DI: This year, the UI has seen an increase in class sizes and fewer teaching-assistant positions are available. How have these changes affected the university academically?

Mason: On average, smaller classes have an additional one or two students, while in larger classes, you can see up to 20 more students than normal. Last year, as we knew we were facing some deep budget cuts, we didn’t fill some positions. That included faculty, staff, and TAs. And that was done in order not to have to fire anybody, not to have to lay off anyone. So I don’t think you’re going to notice much change in class size really. I think the instructors might notice the change a little bit with a couple of extra students depending on the size of their classes, but we don’t think the students are going to notice.

DI: Many bars downtown are going through liquor-license renewals. How are you working with the city, specifically, with these renewals?

Mason: We have a partnership for alcohol with the city and the community, and we’ve been very pleased with the response that we’ve gotten. People want to be safe downtown and if there are behaviors that need to be mitigated to create that safe environment, we’re really pleased that the community is willing to step up and help. The bar owners are a part of that community. I think that the responsible bar owners are going to find that their business won’t be impaired. In fact, maybe they’ll see more business in the future. And those who aren’t responsible and enforcing the laws need to understand that there are consequences.

DI: As you know, the Faculty Senate has been told it is not subject to the Open Meetings Law. Do you feel they should be transparent with budget concerns and decisions?

Mason: I think our Faculty Senate [members] work pretty hard to be transparent. Their meetings are typically open. I don’t think they’re going to change their behavior, and I don’t see that there is a need to, at this point. I think they are and should always be responsive to questions.

DI: H1N1 cases have been confirmed on campuses all over the nation. Do you think the UI is prepared for a potential outbreak on campus?

Mason: We’re as prepared as any place can be for something like this. You keep your fingers crossed that you don’t have a lot of illness, but the simple fact about it is we’ve got 30,000 students. This is a nicely contained campus, but it’s a highly contagious disease. It is affecting young people far more frequently than it is older people. We’re trying to get as much educational material out to students so they know what their responsibilities are if they come down sick. And a lot of it then depends on good behavior. Staying home when you’re sick and not infecting more people. Washing your hands a lot. We’re not going to be able to avoid this disease but we’re going to be able to, hopefully, get through this with a minimum number of people getting sick.