Ramadan a bit difficult in IC

The sun slowly descends, ending another long, hungry day for much of the UI’s Islamic population.

At roughly 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, it was time to break the fast with a generous portion of a plump, wrinkly, ripe fig — the first taste of nutrition since dawn.

Breaking fast and eating only after dark are all signs that the holy month of Ramadan is here, and UI Islamic students are fasting to prove their loyalty to Allah.

“Fasting says thank-you for what you have,” said 19-year-old UI student Lena Abu-El-Haija. “The month of Ramadan brings you closer to your faith and makes you appreciate what you have.”

Ramadan began on Aug. 21 and is predicted to end Sept. 20.

The holy month corresponds with the lunar calendar. Astrologers can predict when the Moon will complete its cycle, but no one knows for sure Ramadan’s exact end date.

“It all depends on the Moon,” said UI senior Nada Moustafa.

Fasting with no concrete ending may seem like an impossible task, but UI junior Sean

Schwabenlander said fasting is only a small sacrifice to make to find a deeper connection.

“Ramadan strengthens the relationship between you and God,” the 21-year-old said. “You develop good religious habits during the month of Ramadan that will, hopefully, continue for the rest of the year.”

Islam followers also tend to read more from the Islamic holy book, the Koran, during the month of Ramadan.

“Some followers will read the entire book,” Schwabenlander said.

Ramadan participants practice charity and patience, he said. The holy month encourages followers to make good decisions and do more for their community.

Though bettering one’s religious habits is important during Ramadan, Islamic students being on their best behavior can be a challenge. On campus, they are continually surrounded by food and drink.

“Imagine waking up to go to class without coffee in the mornings,” Moustafa said. “I’m still not used to that.”

But walking past crowds of people munching on lunch or sipping a soda — plus the smell of the forbidden goods wafting in the air — only makes the fasting process that much more challenging.

“I [normally] eat on campus a lot during the day,” said Abu-El-Haija. “I’m still starving all the time because I am studying.

During Ramadan, water is also not permitted during daylight hours, making thirst another challenge when walking around a large, hot campus.

“Water is the most difficult sacrifice for me,” said 21-year-old UI student Nibras Elnour. “I get thirsty when I walk from class to class. I’ll be happy when I get to drink water again.”

But the many sacrifices and challenges will be worth it in the end when Eid, a final celebration, arrives.

Eid, a three-day festival celebrating the end of Ramadan, consists of bright lights, an abundance of gifts, and delicious foods. It is often compared with Christians’ celebration of Christmas when Muslims explain its importance to those of other faiths.

“On the first morning of Eid, me, my sisters, and my mom make cookies and sweets. We then eat all of our hard work and wear all of our new clothes,” Elnour said. “The first day is the best.”

For most UI Muslim students, Ramadan is not only about the material goods of the celebration, but more importantly the opportunity to spend time with family. But for now, they’re focusing on their fast.

“We are all pretty enthusiastic at the end of Ramadan,” Abu-El-Haija said. “We get to see all of our friends and relatives. It’s a great feeling, and a huge accomplishment.”

>> Bonus: View an interview video with Muslims currently observing Ramadan.

Correction appended 09/11/09 at 10:38 a.m.

In the original version of this story, Eid ul-Fitr, the holiday at the end of Ramadan, was spelled as ‘Edi’. The DI regrets the error.