Further delays on new jail

The Johnson County Board of Supervisors now face even more obstacles in deciding on a new jail or justice center.

At their Thursday meeting, supervisors pushed back the date to decide whether to pursue a study comparing a joint justice center near downtown Iowa City to moving the jail to the Press-Citizen building for several reasons, Supervisor Terrence Neuzil said.

Neuzil said the Press-Citizen site may no longer be available after an outside group made an offer on the building this week.

In addition, Neuzil said, the supervisors didn’t have adequate information on what the proposed study would specifically look into and that he didn’t want to vote without Supervisor Larry Meyers, who did not attend the meeting.

A development group signed a purchase agreement with the owners of the Press-Citizen on Tuesday, Neuzil said, which made deciding on the study — which could cost up to $15,000 — much more difficult.

The agreement with the Press-Citizen is still pending.

“I think this would warrant us not to spend taxpayer dollars [on a study] to see if there is still an interest in it,” he said at the informal meeting. “It would be worthy to at least hear from what could possibly be a brand new owner.”

Supervisor Rod Sullivan agreed.

“We are potentially valuing a spot we don’t have,” he said. “We could look into the space at the Old Capitol [mall], but we don’t have that, either.”

Even after the news of the potential purchase, Supervisor Sally Stutsman said she still thinks they should consider the study.

“I’d like to go ahead and proceed with this. I know about the changes, but if we are this far into this we have get these facts on the table so we can get an honest comparison,” she said.

Supervisor Pat Harney said he has had personal contact with the buyers, and they said the building could still be available to the county.

“[The new owners] are still going to work with us,” Harney said. “But they won’t hang on forever.”

While he at first supported moving the jail to the Press-Citizen building, Johnson County Sheriff Lonny Pulkrabek said he has changed his mind due to the recent news.

“I’ve definitely lost a lot of my interest in the Press-Citizen building now,” he said.