Locally-produced food gets moving

In a culinary world of partially hydrogenated and high-fructose corn syrup, many people these days have no idea where their food comes from. And furthermore, they don’t care.

That is exactly why the Johnson County Local Food Alliance is putting on a three-and-a-half week festival that supports the local food economy.

The eighth-annual Field to Family, which kicks off today at 5:30 p.m. with a Benefit Culinary Walk around central Iowa City, supports the growing of a more personal relationship between local food and its producers. James Nisly, the president of the food alliance, wants to help cultivate that relationship through the event.

“The organization’s mission is to foster a more local and sustainable food economy in Johnson and surrounding counties,” he said. This mission includes a “buy fresh, buy local” directory — a list of restaurants and grocery stores that are a part of the local food community. Nisly said the purpose of this is to let people know where they can go to find businesses that aim to provide sustainable products.

And the festival showcases some of those businesses with its Culinary Walk. Seven local establishments — One Twenty-Six, Atlas, Devotay, Motley Cow, New Pioneer Food Co-op, the Red Avocado, and the UI’s own IMU — will take part. Tickets for the Culinary Walk are $15 for students and $25 for the general public.

During the event, ticket holders will walk from restaurant to restaurant, getting a taste of Iowa City’s local food economy. Each restaurant will create its own hors d’oeuvres made from locally produced food in hopes of displaying the high quality of fresh, local food that the area can provide.

David Burt, a co-owner of the Red Avocado, was on the board that founded Field to Family eight years ago. He has participated in the Culinary Walk every year since its conception.

“It’s an event in which people can take a leisurely stroll around Iowa City,” he said. “It’s a way of reaffirming our community bonds. And that is the idea of the walk, to get to see different places, see different people.”

Even though he is no longer on the board for Field to Family, Burt still maintains strong support for its cause. He thinks that rather than spending more money for the same product, people should spend their money on fresher, more local products.

“Field to Family is a way to try to connect both chefs on the one hand and eaters on the other, with farmers who are around them,” he said. “It’s important for people to understand that their food doesn’t come from a box, that it comes from the ground.”

Field to Family also includes other events that run throughout the month and into early October, such as tours of nearby farms and gardens, various cooking classes, and a barn dance on Oct. 3.

“There is room for everyone,” said Theresa Carbrey, a member-services coordinator at New Pioneer. “The outdoor people, the more scholarly people. There are activities with everything.”

Because most of the activities are outside, bad weather can tend to be a problem — thunderstorms never mix well with outdoor crowds. But Carbrey is confident that no matter what the weather, the event will roll on.

At the heart of the festivities, though, the Johnson County Local Food Alliance still has a message: Buy fresh, buy local. All parties involved believe that supporting this cause will not only help local businesses and farmers, it will bring the community closer together.

“We’re just having fun and learning,” Carbrey said. “Eat some great food, get out, and enjoy the fall.”