Hawkeye secondary boasts experience

Shaun Prater’s February OWI was disappointing. Jordan Bernstine’s dislocated ankle in camp was disheartening. The returning talent and youth in the rest of the Iowa secondary is almost disorienting.

All-America candidate Amari Spievey returns for his junior year at cornerback for the Hawkeyes, as does junior Brett Greenwood at free safety. Sophomore Tyler Sash is back at strong safety, along with his Big Ten leading five interceptions in 2008.

Spievey was named second team All-Big Ten by the coaches and received an honorable mention by the media in 2008. Academic issues forced him to leave Iowa after redshirting in 2006, but he immediately grabbed the starting cornerback spot opposite Bradley Fletcher upon returning last fall.

“[Spievey] could be a good player. ‘Could be,’ and ‘should be,’ and ‘would be,’ and ‘is’ are all different things,” Iowa defensive coordinator Norm Parker said. “So I think the ball is kind of in his court [in terms of] how much he pushes himself and how good he gets.”

The Middletown, Conn., native has a handful of preseason accolades. Several experts list him as a potential All-American and All-Big Ten selection. He was also named to the watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given annually to the NCAA’s best defensive back.

“He’s got a nose for the ball,” senior linebacker A.J. Edds said. “He’s always finding a way to get around the ball, and he’s got good hands for a corner to come up with plays that a lot of people might not make.”

The only position up for grabs in an otherwise stellar defensive backfield is at the other cornerback position. Coaches said Prater and Bernstine were in the midst of an interesting battle for the spot.

But Bernstine’s season-ending injury likely means Prater will start once he serves a two-game suspension for a OWI citation he received last winter. Redshirt freshman Greg Castillo and sophomore Willie Lowe are the front-runners to start Iowa’s first game against Northern Iowa on Saturday.

While the second cornerback position may be in limbo for the next couple weeks, Greenwood and Sash have both safety positions locked up after sitting out all spring with shoulder surgeries.

“I, [Sash], and A.J. missed the spring, so just getting back out there with the defensive unit [is important],” Greenwood said. “And getting that feeling back with them and making sure we’re all on the same page.”

Greenwood, a three-year starter, recorded two interceptions and six pass breakups last year. His 68 tackles tied with Spievey for third on the team, which garnered him a nod for an All-Big Ten honorable mention by league media.

Sash took over at strong safety early in 2008, recording 10 tackles and a redzone-threat interception in a 17-5 win over Iowa State. He then struggled with nagging injuries through the middle of the season.

His fourth quarter interception of Penn State’s Daryll Clark set up a game-winning field goal against the then-No. 3 Nittany Lions, which in turn led to a Big Ten Player of the Week nod.

“Brett was clearly a much better player last year after getting his feet wet two years ago,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said at the team’s media day earlier this month. “We’re hoping to see that same type of progress with Tyler Sash. I think he should be a lot more confident and decisive out there with his play. We’ve got a good nucleus.”