Frosh seminar big hit with students

Thirteen students watched as UI professor Edward Wasserman crouched and bounced, demonstrating a horse-jockey position that he researched on Google.

But the students were not studying horses. They were attending the first day of class for their seminar, The Arrogant Animal, one of more than 100 seminars offered to UI freshmen this year.

Administrators and professors are taking on the seminars this fall aiming to improve retention rate for first-year students and create a lasting teacher-student connection.

Students seemed excited about the topic, but for some, it was the professor’s charismatic conversation and his exuberant style of teaching that stood out.

“He is definitely a character,” UI freshman Alex Rocca said. “I think I will remember him for a long time. He cares about what he teaches and seems excited to be there, which made me eager to be there as well.”

The seminar focuses on how to classify and understand the human being and humans’ place in the world, Wasserman told the class at its first meeting last week.

“Humans are not apart from nature,” he said, his hands punching the air to highlight his point. “We are a part of nature.”

He used YouTube videos to start off a conversation on the human condition. The first video, “We Are All Just Monkeys,” involved a series of pictures of humans and sardonic statements about these “monkeys.”

“I got quite a kick out of the videos,” said UI freshman Glenn Baker. “The [monkey video] was a pretty big smack in the face. You can’t watch it and not respond.”

Another video, “Chimpanzee Memory Test,” took a more scientific approach, showing a chimpanzee playing a memory-based number game at lightening speed.

“We humans take great pride in our intelligence, but then a chimpanzee actually outperforms us,” Wasserman said, leaning back in his chair.

Students seemed to respond positively to the use of the videos. The classroom filled with debate instead of the uncomfortable creaking of chairs and hum of an air conditioner.

“By opening with the videos, he made me want to work harder and pay attention,” said UI freshman Meganne Franks. “It made me realize that there was a lot that could be learned if I put forth the effort.”

Wasserman continually expounded the importance of forging connections between students and professors.

“Part of the purpose of the seminars is that the students get to know the professor on a personal basis, as opposed to being in lecture classes with 300 students,” he said. “I don’t believe many students understand how much pleasure professors take in their students’ success.”