Spotlight Iowa City: Concussion leads to a new life

Jordan Loperena has accomplished what most sports fans only dream about.

The UI senior helped set up the SkyCam for the ESPN/ABC broadcast of the Iowa-Penn State game last November, worked camera utility at the women’s NCAA Tournament games at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, and nabbed an internship with the Big Ten Network this upcoming semester.

Further, Loperena, 21, is in his second year as sports director at KRUI despite having had no experience in sports media prior to joining the UI radio station.

Had it not been for a brain-rattling concussion during his freshman year, all the above likely would never have happened. The major in sports studies and communication studies initially came to Iowa with a focus on hockey.

His passion for the sport began when he was 6. By the time he was a senior in Lake Zurich, Ill., he was the defensive captain of his high-school team.

At Iowa, he immediately tried out for club hockey. But he suffered his third concussion during a game against Iowa State. Loperena got the puck in the corner, and the hit occurred just as he was getting rid of it.

“It wasn’t a dirty check or a particularly hard one, it just knocked me off balance and the back of my helmet was the first thing that hit the ice,” Loperena said.

His doctor suggested quitting hockey if he had a fourth concussion. Consequently, Loperena’s aggressive style of play became less physical.

“After that, I didn’t play the same way,” he said. “I just never regained that competitive edge.”

Loperena’s coach cut him from the team the following season, and while the rejection hurt, there was little time to sulk. Jamie Elliott, a former Iowa teammate, gave him a life-changing suggestion: He referred Loperena to Will Marchino, Elliott’s friend and the sports director for KRUI at the time.

“I knew that he would be perfect for the station, given his knowledge of sports and how much he loved to talk,” Elliott said.

Loperena started working for KRUI a few days later. Despite having no experience in sports media, the transition couldn’t have been more natural.

“One thing that makes radio an outstanding outlet to get started in with sports media is that no one can see you when you’re on the air,” he said. “You can be as comfortable as you want.”

During his tenure as sports director, the KRUI sports staff has grown from 15 to 50, and the number of shows each week increased from two or three to eight, Loperena said.

“Jordan is really committed to being the sports director,” said David Jaffe, a former member of the KRUI sports staff. “It’s because of him that they now have sports shows on every day.”

Not only is he in charge of making the weekly radio schedule, he also hosts three radio shows: “From the Cheap Seats,” “Friday Gridiron Preview,” and “Saturday Hawkeye PreGame.” He also covers Iowa football — with full media credentials.

“It’s his passion for sports and people that make him good at what he does there,” Elliott said. “Jordan wears his heart on his sleeve and works extremely hard.”

The work has paid off. Someone nominated Loperena last year for the Hawkeye Award for outstanding student organization leader. During the awards ceremony, the presenter gave a brief depiction of the award winner.

Sitting in the audience, the young radio jock was shocked to hear the description about someone who worked for KRUI.

“I knew I was the only person nominated who worked for KRUI,” he said, indicating his surprise. “It was a humbling experience being rewarded for the effort. It shows that someone outside the station really appreciates the work.”