UI girds for flu

For UI students, “swine flu” are two words heard as commonly as “plagiarism” and “finals” this first week of class.

That’s because they’re required to be in every class syllabus.

“If you come down sick, don’t try to be tough and come to class,” Christopher Cheatum, a UI assistant professor of chemistry, warned his physical chemistry students this week. “And don’t come knocking on my office door.”

Cheatum and all other UI faculty are required to notify their classes about a new university H1N1 prevention policy in place this year, which encourages students to keep away from all public places — even the hospital. UI officials are also spreading word about the new rules by way of Facebook, Twitter, and posters.

As part of the policy, students no longer have to obtain a doctor’s note when they miss class this fall because of the flu. Instead, they simply have to fill out an online H1N1 absence form and return it to their professors at least 24 hours after they recover from the illness, said Susan Johnson, a UI associate provost.

The reason for the change is to prevent students from going to clinics to simply check if they have the flu, which might overcrowd facilities and spread the virus further.

“We want people to stay away from others when they [think] they’re sick, not go to public places,” Johnson said.

The new policy puts students on an honor system, but some professors said they aren’t worried about its potential abuse. Those who miss important dates, such as exams, will make up the work anyway, Cheatum said.

And students can only get sick so many times before arousing suspicion, he noted.

The policy debuted in response to guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, specifically addressing colleges and academic centers.

Dan Fick, a UI clinical professor of family medicine in charge of H1N1 prevention, said the virus is of particular concern because it targets an unexpected population: the college-age people, who normally are the healthiest.

In contrast, because of an H1N1 outbreak and subsequent vaccination campaign in the 1970s, many people over age 30 have been exposed to the virus and may have some immunity, Fick said.

College students, most of whom are too young to have encountered the virus before, have not acquired immunity and are more vulnerable to the disease.

This has led some experts to predict the virus may infect 10 to 20 percent of students when flu season peaks in January and February.

Fick said some sororities and fraternities across the country have already reported incidences of the virus since school started up this month.

The best way to prevent the flu now is to keep clean and get immunized with the vaccine for the seasonal flu, which is still a concern, Fick said.

Meanwhile, scientists at eight medical centers —including the UIHC —are working to determine the effective dosage of a new vaccine for the flu. Expected to hit the market later this fall, the H1N1 vaccine likely will include two shots.