Cole hits 25 in Prime Time win

Catapulted by two current and two former Hawkeyes, L.L. Pelling Company/Iowa City Ready Mix was able to grind out a win over a short-handed Culver’s of Coralville, 109-100, Wednesday night during Prime Time play in North Liberty.

Pelling/Ready Mix’s balanced attack was led by the big four of Iowa junior Jarryd Cole (25 points and 15 rebounds), junior-college transfer Devon Archie (10 points and seven rebounds), and ex-Hawkeyes Jason Price, (24 points and six assists), and Duez Henderson, (20 points, six assists, and six rebounds).

Cole battled foul trouble for most of the game, but he was proud of his team for picking up the tough win against Culver’s, which still managed to clinch the No. 1 seed in the next week’s playoffs.

“It’s very unfortunate to get fouls called on you,” Cole said. “The game can change so easily, so fast sitting on the bench, and you miss so much whether it’s two minutes, three minutes. Our team held well together, we put it together and finished at the end. We got the ‘W,’ and that’s what counts the most.”

Culver’s only had seven players dressed — Iowa sophomore Andrew Brommer suffered a high ankle sprain playing pick-up on Tuesday. Hawkeye athletics trainer John Streif said the injury will keep the forward out for a month or so.

The game was a 40-minute fight, with both teams making runs but neither able to sustain one. A big second half by Price, in which he rattled in seven 3-pointers, sparked Pelling/Ready Mix and in the end, time ran out for Culver’s.

“I think today we passed the ball better than we usually do,” Cole said. “We limited our turnovers, that was very key for us not to turn the ball over. We made the simple plays today instead of the flashy plays, and it really paid off.”

Archie compiled his 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting, while Cole played tough despite his foul problems.

Contrary to what he might have said, Cole did put on a flashy display of dunks, lay-ups, and a newly developed mid-range game.

“I’m just trying to extend my game a little bit so that I can be more of a threat for the Hawkeyes this season, and right now is the perfect time to showcase that,” he said. “I think it’s going well for me.” “Anywhere I can get two points I’ll take it, whether it’s a dunk, lay-up, jump shot or whatever. As long as it goes in the hole.”

Cole’s flashy play has rubbed off on new teammate Archie, who said he is still learning.

“I think I’ve come a long way, as far as skills and being more physical,” he said. “I think this league has helped me out a lot, and a couple former guys have helped me out a whole lot. I think my quickness around the basket and athleticism may be my two strengths. When I get my offensive skills a lot better, I think I’ll be more effective.”

His athleticism drew more than a few cheers from a full house Wednesday night, something Archie enjoyed.

“It was exciting,” he said. “It gives me motivation and a little adrenaline rush and makes me want to do something else.”

As the playoffs loom, Archie thinks his team is poised to make a run.

“Everybody played with good tempo, nobody tried to rush shots like usual, everybody played together,” he said. “I think if we play the way we did tonight, we’ll be pretty good.”