Alexander, Johnson spark Game Time win

The Hawkeye duo of Kachine Alexander and Morgan Johnson recorded double-doubles to propel Coralville Hy-Vee past Goodfellow Printing/ Imprinted Sportswear, 71-64, during Game Time League action in North Liberty on July 2.

Hy-Vee charged ahead from the tip and used its offensive rebounding strength to build a 39-31 halftime lead. Goodfellow/ Imprinted coach Brendan Unkrich shouted encouragement and directions, trying his best to motivate his players, but stops were hard to come by as the team repeatedly gave up second-chance opportunities.

The game was extremely physical, and players hand-checked and shoved, leading to several bodies on the floor. It was competitive the whole way, but Goodfellow/ Imprinted could never get over the hump. Coralville Hy-Vee led throughout second half to seal the win, paced by Johnson’s 23 points.

Alexander contributed 18, and Iowa junior Kelsey Cermak chipped in 10 as well.

But rebounding was the most telling stat of the night. Alexander grabbed 17, and the incoming freshman Johnson pulled down 12, giving them both double-doubles. Hy-Vee outrebounded Goodfellow/ Imprinted 58-30 for the game.

“Game Time gets a little physical,” said Alexander, who will be a junior for Iowa next season. “We’ve had our first two, as I call it, baby weeks, and now everybody is getting into the groove of things. Everyone’s out there on the floor trying to get hustle plays and stuff like that.”

Hy-Vee shot an anemic 4-for-28 from 3-point range, yet Alexander was proud of her team for finding a way to win when outside shots weren’t falling.

“We’re a pretty good shooting team, but tonight was an off night where we had to do other things to get us going, such as offensive rebounds,” Alexander said. “We got a lot of rebounds today, and I think that helped us a lot.”

She used the five-minute halftime to get some extra shooting practice in, as well as keep her shoulder warmed up, which she fell on in a game last week.

“I’m trying to loosen it up; it gets tight once in a while,” she said. “My goal this summer is to work on my 3-point shooting.”

The summer league has given Alexander a chance to compete against her Hawkeye teammates, something she enjoys.

“It’s always good to play your teammates,” she said. “I think that’s always fun, because we never get to play against each other on other teams. I always look forward to playing against my teammates.”

Krista Moser of Colgate and Iowa sophomore Shante Jones scored 17 and 16 points, respectively, for Goodfellow/Imprinted in the loss.

Former Iowa women’s basketball player Kristi Smith replaced absent sophomore Kamille Wahlin as the starting point guard for Goodfellow/Imprinted. Smith is planning on playing professionally overseas this season, and she is thankful for the opportunity to play in the league.

“It’s good to get some reps up and down the court, but I think I need to work on my shot a little bit,” Smith said. “Any day now, I’ll be hearing from my agent and see what he’s got for me.”