Alexander, Hamlin shoot it out in Game Time square-off

Kachine Alexander and JoAnn Hamlin went back and forth all game long.

Each took her team’s last shot. Alexander hit hers, Hamlin missed at the buzzer, and Alexander’s Coralville Hy-Vee squad emerged with a 90-88 win over Hamlin and Active Endeavors/McCurry’s on Tuesday in the North Liberty Community Center.

Alexander, who will be a junior for the Hawkeyes this coming season, finished the Game Time game with 30 points, 11 rebounds, and four assists.

With 14 minutes left in the game, she went up for a lay-up, was fouled, and hit the ground hard. She left the game with an apparent neck injury, but came back 90 seconds later. Those were her only moments on the bench.

In a losing effort, Hamlin posted a game-high 34 points on 15-of-21 shooting. The Hawkeye senior had snared seven rebounds.

Alexander got beat up throughout the course of the contest but kept her head up and continued knocking down shots.

“I think, overall, I did well; my shots were falling tonight,” she said. “And I kept taking the shots when I was open. I wasn’t afraid to take them. So I think I did pretty well.”

Hamlin had a modest opinion about her 34-point performance and noted that a better defensive effort would have helped.

“I guess I played all right; I probably could have done a little better job on defense,” she said. “And probably a little better job rebounding. But as far as a team, we played very well tonight.”

Also stepping up for Hy-Vee was Iowa junior Kelsey Cermak and Coe College’s Kayla Lincoln. Cermak had 17 points to go with 10 rebounds, and Lincoln also scored 17.

In the losing cause, Iowa freshman-to-be Jaime Printy had 10 points to go with 10 assists and six rebounds. Kirkwood Community College’s Kalli Hansen also had a big game with 22 points and seven rebounds.

Hy-Vee coach Mike Stoermer said he was pleased with the way his team played.

“[I was] real happy; we had some reserves who came in and played really well. We were missing a couple, so we had to go with Kachine and Cermak pretty much the whole game,” he said. “I was really pleased; it was a fun game to watch. We just made a few plays down the stretch that allowed us to win.”

Most notably absent from the Hy-Vee line-up was Iowa freshman Morgan Johnson.

“[Because of the Johnson absence] we suffered a little defensively. Hamlin was big tonight,” Stoermer said. “So we had a little tough time defending the post, and that kind of hurt us a little bit.”

Stoermer said Alexander was “the best player in the league,” and he praised her for making the game-winning shot.

Hy-Vee’s next game will be Thursday against Goodfellow Printing/Imprinted Sportswear. Active Endeavors/McCurry’s will also play Thursday evening against L.L. Pelling Company/Cullen Painting. Both contests are slated for 6 p.m. at the North Liberty Community Center.