Henderson’s 27 not enough in Prime Time

Seven years have passed since Duez Henderson donned the Black and Gold, but he still knows how to tear it up on the hardwood.

In a game pitting L.L. Pelling/Iowa City Ready Mix against Culver’s of Coralville in the Prime Time League, the 29-year-old poured in a game-high 27 points while adding four rebounds and three assists.

Henderson hit a 3-pointer for the first points of the game, and he was able to keep his touch from beyond the arc, making 4-of-7 shots. The ex-Hawkeye was able to mix in slashes to the basket, a mid-range game, and post game to go along with hot outside shooting.

Henderson was not afraid to be a floor general as well.

“I’m always talking to Iowa guys and other young guys on the team,” he said. “I’m just trying to get them to play the game the right way and help out any way I can.”

Henderson wears No. 23 for Pelling/Ready Mix. While he knows he’s no Michael Jordan, he said he tries to follow the Chicago icon’s lead.

“I’m old school, 23 is Michael Jordan,” he said. “I’m not saying I’m close to him, but I think my game is a little more like his.”

Jordan was a versatile player, so Henderson believes that a well-rounded game is extremely important as well.

“I just think you should be able to do a little of everything,” he said. “The more you can do, the more valuable you are.”

However, the result of Monday’s game did not favor Henderson and Pelling/ Ready Mix — many players on Culver’s carried just as hot of a hand as Henderson. Culver’s went 14-of-25 from 3-point range and 21-of-34 from inside the arc for a robust 59 percent shooting percentage.

The game ended after Iowa junior-to-be Jarryd Cole missed a 3-point attempt in the waning seconds, letting Culver’s escape with the win.

“Coach wanted to go for the win,” Cole said. “I was there at the right time, and it felt good, looked good, but just didn’t fall through the hoop.”

Cole also played well for Pelling/Ready Mix, tallying 21 points to go with 8 rebounds. He was comfortable shooting mid-range jumpers, and he hopes they can be a weapon for him in future games.

“As far as the 12-15 foot range, I’m really trying to make that an effective shot,” he said.

Iowa’s cocaptain for the 2009-10 season displayed an effective post game, hitting baby hooks and step-backs on the block.

“That’s my focal point right now,” he said. “I really want to try to expand my post repertoire and get a few moves in there.”

Even though both Cole and Henderson played well for Pelling/Ready Mix, their competitive spirits didn’t allow them to describe their own play as anything better than OK in the loss.

Also playing in the game for Iowa was Devon Archie, who suited up for Pelling/Ready Mix, and Andrew Brommer, playing for Culver’s.

Archie scored seven points, four coming on hook shots in the lane and two on a hard dunk following a feed from Henderson.

Brommer scored 12 points, including a tremendous dunk in traffic after a pick-and-roll. He also grabbed seven rebounds, second highest on the team.