Bitch Please: Michael Cera

George-Michael all the way!

Michael Cera may not be the world’s most versatile actor, but it works for him. Endearing as George-Michael Bluth in the cult-classic television series “Arrested Development,” Cera fumbled and bumbled around the set, just as he did in Juno and Superbad. Actually, he wasn’t much different in Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, but that charming innocence and subdued zeal make him perfect for the youthful roles he takes on. His one-note character portrayals fit into the current trend toward gentle and humble leading, uh, men in teen flicks. Cera is an excellent actor, one whose potential audiences have yet to realize. After all, he’s only 21 years old. Cera has a long career ahead of him in which to grow into his craft.

Michael, quit being a bitch!

There was a point in my life where “Arrested Development” was like heroin (in fact, it still is). I would spend hours on end watching episode after episode, laughing my ass off each time. Michael Cera’s character was so funny — that awkward, sensitive dude who was in love with his cousin. Then Superbad came around, and his interactions with Jonah Hill on screen were just as funny. And then he charmed us with Juno as the lovable Paulie Bleeker, and I even thoroughly enjoyed Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist.

But seriously, come on. That’s four separate productions with almost the same exact character. Cera may be young, but that’s no excuse. His new movie, Year One, is a perfect example of exactly why he needs to figure out something new. He spent the entire time lost on screen staring at the camera with that same goddamn face. Come on Michael, you’re 21 now. It’s time to grow up and try something fresh. God knows you’ve got the money; it’s time to step outside the box a little.