Woman on scooter pushed under Cambus by SUV

A college-age woman appeared to be seriously injured after she was pushed under a UI Cambus when an SUV rear-ended the scooter she was riding Tuesday.

Cambus driver Aaron Summerkamp said he was stopped on Newton Road when the accident occurred Tuesday.

“I was loading up passengers when I heard tires squeal and felt a small bump on the bus,” the UI senior said. “I looked in the driver’s side mirror and could see the scooter and girl underneath the bus.”

The woman was halfway underneath the bus, and her scooter was crushed.

The driver of the SUV ran frantically to the bus asking for help, and Summerkamp radioed the Cambus office for assistance, he said.

The victim was conscious, he said, though it was evident she was badly hurt. Her injuries were not life threatening, Iowa City police reported in a statement Tuesday night.

“She moved very little; it was pretty serious injuries,” he said.

Pedestrians and people who had been on the bus comforted her until an ambulance arrived about five minutes later. She was taken away on a stretcher, Summerkamp said.

It is unclear whether the woman is a UI student, though Summerkamp said she appeared to be college-age.

Iowa City police responded to the intersection of Newton Road and Lincoln Avenue between 3:30 and 4 p.m. to a report that an adult female on a moped was rear-ended by an SUV and pushed into a stopped Cambus, Iowa City police Lt. Doug Hart said. The victim was taken to UI Hospitals and Clinics.Summerkamp said the driver of the SUV stayed on the scene. Police interviewed the driver and conducted field sobriety tests, though the results of those tests were not available. The driver left with police; she was not placed in handcuffs.

Police blocked traffic on Newton Road between Lincoln and Valley Avenues. Iowa City buses and Cambuses had to detour to avoid the area.