Following inauguration, Currie, Moran ready to get cracking

Forty-ninth UI Student Government President Mike Currie said on Sunday his administration is committed to accomplishing its 11 platform goals over the next year.

“Student government gets a lot of criticism for what it is and what we actually do,” he said in his inaugural address. “According to some, we’re all résumé-packing opportunists who are only in it for ourselves and our own self-interest. But that’s OK, let the talkers talk — that’s what they do best. The Student Government I know is full of doers, risk-takers, movers, and shakers.”

Currie gave his speech before his fellow party members, guests, and some UI administrators in the press box at Kinnick Stadium Sunday. He and Vice President JD Moran were sworn into office, along with their 37 senators.

Moran noted the hard work of all the senators, both new and returning, and said he looks forward to working with the new administration.

“I cannot thank these senators that ran on our ticket enough,” Moran said. “I’m truly excited for the Go Party that all but two of our senators were elected, and I welcome the senators from Your Party. We have a lot of work to do, and I can’t wait to get started.”

Currie noted his group’s first order of business is to sort out positions within the government, including the speaker of the Senate, who will be elected by the rest of the senators on Tuesday. Once that is accomplished, they plan to attack their platform issues.

“We have so many wonderful platform points that we are anxiously awaiting to accomplish,” Moran said. “I truly believe that with Mike and my cooperation, all of our plans for the university will transpire.”

The platform is based on 11 issues, including increasing recycling in the dorms, extending NiteRide availability, installing better lighting on campus, locking in tuition, and holding monthly forums for students.

Patrick Cornally, an elected freshman senator, said he is excited to be on Student Government and to start accomplishing goals.

“I’m really excited to have Currie and JD and the rest of our executives in office,” Cornally said. “I think they will keep true to their campaign promises, and I think that we can get a lot of our platform issues accomplished.”

Also speaking on Sunday, former UISG President Maison Bleam thanked his administration for a successful year working with himself and former Vice President Bridget Szeluga. He added he is confident in Currie’s abilities to lead the next generation of UISG.

“I’ve had experience working side-by-side on initiatives with Mike and JD this year, and I know Bridget and I are leaving the Student Government in good hands,” Bleam said. “The students made a good choice sending these two back into office.”

Currie said he thinks this year will be both productive and exciting.

“It is the duty of every one of us to take what we have been given and make a real change,” he said.

The first meeting for the 2009-10 UISG administration is Tuesday at 7 p.m.