Want on-campus nuptials?

The stretch of green grass between the IMU and Iowa Avenue hosts events ranging from Welcome Week to RiverFest and greek activities. It could also be the new site of Hancher Auditorium.

But the park holds something that may be surprising:

A wedding chapel.

Built in 1952, the Danforth Chapel — named after William Danforth, who contributed to its construction — is a replica of a rural Iowa church circa 1847. UI students and alumni alike still use the tiny chapel, which can comfortably sit 70 people, to get married.

People can rent out the chapel for a $200 fee for a three-hour time period, but it can only be used for religious services and weddings. For weddings, an additional hour is allotted for the rehearsal. Couples must contact UI Guest and Event Services at the IMU if they are interested.

Although it may seem like part of the package, couples do not rent out the adjoining Hubbard Park when renting the chapel. Couples can request the use of Hubbard Park — also through UI Guest and Event Services — although other events can take place simultaneously. There is no charge to use the park unless special expenses or damages occur.

The grassy lot has hosted a plethora of UI activities. Most recently, Hubbard Park was the start and end point of the first Nearly Naked Mile, sponsored by Students Today Alumni Tomorrow. The park also hosted “ESPN Gameday” in 2006 — the sports show’s first appearance on the UI campus in 10 years.

Last week, UI officials met with the state Board of Regents and suggested Hubbard Park as one of eight potential new sites for the relocation of Hancher Auditorium, which, along with other parts of the Arts Campus, was severely damaged during last summer’s flood.