Quarterbacks step up as Big Ten play gains momentum

The Big Ten continues to show its skills at the quarterback position as the season progresses.

Purdue+quarterback+David+Blough+throws+the+ball+during+the+Iowa+v.+Purdue+football+game+at+Ross%E2%80%93Ade+Stadium+on+Saturday%2C+Oct.+15%2C+2016.+The+Iowa+Hawkeyes+beat+the+Purdue+Boilermakers+49-35.+

Anthony Vazquez

Purdue quarterback David Blough throws the ball during the Iowa v. Purdue football game at Ross–Ade Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016. The Iowa Hawkeyes beat the Purdue Boilermakers 49-35.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins is shining in his first year as the starter in Columbus.

The sophomore from Potomac, Maryland, keeps rising on Heisman watch lists across the country, consistently sitting at No. 2 on numerous lists, trailing only Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa.

Haskins has thrown for a Big Ten-leading 1,194 yards through four games, 10th in the country.  His 16 touchdown passes again lead the conference and put him second nationally, and he is also completing passes at a 75.7 percent clip.

The Buckeyes have had some impressive quarterbacks walk the streets of Columbus in recent years — Terrelle Pryor, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones, and J.T. Barrett to name a few — and although he has only played four games, Haskins is putting himself right up there.

“We’ve had some pretty high-profile guys around here,” Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer said in his weekly press conference. “One thing about Columbus, Ohio, is this is the show, and they become bigger than life … But he’s a very humble guy. He’s a very conscientious guy, comes from a great family. He’s been great so far.”

Blough steps up

Purdue quarterback David Blough was not the Boilermakers’ go-to playmaker when the season started.

In the season-opener against Northwestern on Aug. 30, Elijah Sindelar got the start and responded by throwing 3 picks.

RELATED: Here are the answers to 4 questions we had before the Hawkeye football season

Both quarterbacks played in Purdue’s 20-19 loss to Eastern Michigan, but Blough was named the starter against Missouri Sept. 15, when he threw for a school-record 572 yards with 3 touchdowns and an interception and set a Big Ten record with 590 yards of total offense.

Blough also led the Boilermakers to their first win of the season over then-No. 23 Boston College, 30-13, on Sept. 22, throwing for 296 yards and 3 touchdowns.

He parlayed those performances into a starting job, as Purdue attempts to turn its season around after a surprising 1-3 start.

“He knew what was getting ready to happen, and I think he’s worked long and hard to take advantage of this opportunity,” Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm said in his weekly press conference. “For him it’s about relaxing and playing. While we all want to do well, and it means something to us, he loves the game and wants to win so bad, he’s got to relax, just go out and play, and cut it loose, and not over-think things too much. When he does that, he plays much more effective.”

Allen, Winfield out for season

Penn State backup running back Mark Allen will miss the rest of the season after suffering an injury last week, and Minnesota defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr. will also miss the rest of the season following a left foot injury.

Allen has spent the season behind Miles Sanders on the depth chart, splitting carries with freshman Ricky Slade at the backup position.

The injury will end Allen’s career with the Nittany Lions.

“Mark’s got a very bright future,” Penn State head coach James Franklin told ESPN. “He’s going to be very successful at whatever he chooses to do. He’s talking about getting a little bit into coaching. We’ve got a lot of love and respect for Mark about what he’s been able to do in his career here.”

Allen ran for 99 yards and 2 touchdowns on 24 carries this season, while catching 4 passes for 25 yards as well.

Winfield, on the other hand, suffered his foot injury in the first quarter of the conference-opener against Maryland.

He recorded a 76-yard punt return touchdown against New Mexico, while picking off a game-sealing pass in the end zone against Fresno State.

Winfield earned Co-Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week and Co-Defensive Player of the Week for his performances in each of those games.