Former Hawkeye C.J. Beathard takes over for 49ers

Starter Jimmy Garoppolo is out for the year. Enter C.J. Beathard.

San+Francisco+49ers+quarterback+C.J.+Beathard+%283%29+prepares+to+make+a+pass+against+the+New+York+Giants+during+the+first+quarter+Sunday%2C+Nov.+12%2C+2017+in+Santa+Clara%2C+Calif.+The+49ers+won%2C+31-21.+%28Jose+Carlos+Fajardo%2FBay+Area+News+Group%2FTNS%29+

San Francisco 49ers quarterback C.J. Beathard (3) prepares to make a pass against the New York Giants during the first quarter Sunday, Nov. 12, 2017 in Santa Clara, Calif. The 49ers won, 31-21. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group/TNS)

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

On Sept. 23, San Francisco starting quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo suffered a knee injury against the Kansas City Chiefs. The 49ers’ coaching staff feared the worst, and on Monday, NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted out what San Francisco fans feared.

With Garoppolo down with a torn ACL, the 49ers turn to backup quarterback C.J. Beathard.

Beathard appeared in seven games in 2017, starting five, and finished with a 1-4 record as a starter. He completed 54.9 percent of his throws for 1,430 yards and 4 touchdowns. Beathard threw 6 interceptions and notched a passer rating of 69.2.

He also carried the ball 26 times for 136 yards and scored 3 touchdowns.

San Francisco’s offense wasn’t overly productive with Beathard starting. In his five starts, the 49ers offense scored 8 touchdowns.

The 49ers are off to a 1-2 start following a 38-27 loss to the Chiefs. The 49ers opened the season with a 24-16 loss to the Minnesota Vikings before tallying win No. 1 against the Detroit Lions in Week 2.

This week, San Francisco plays the Los Angeles Chargers on Sept. 30.