Iowa shortstop Kyle Crowl leaves Hawkeye baseball

Starting shortstop Kyle Crowl will not be with the Hawkeyes in 2019.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katin

Iowa infielder Kyle Crowl prepares to swing during men’s baseball Iowa vs. OSU at Duane Banks Field on April 7, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes, 9-5. (Katina Zentz/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Former Iowa starting shortstop Kyle Crowl will leave the Hawkeye baseball program, Crowl confirmed to The Daily Iowan on Sept. 21.

Crowl is not listed on the Iowa baseball roster and did not play in the Hawkeyes’ fall exhibition game against Southeastern Community College Sept. 20.

Crowl declined to say if he was transferring or ending his baseball career.

“Kyle is not going to be on the team anymore,” Iowa head coach Rick Heller said on Sept. 20. “I’m not 100 percent sure, but I think he may be looking to transfer.”

Crowl played and started in 52 of Iowa’s 53 games last season, slashing .247/.394/.401. He finished the season with 33 RBIs and 6 home runs, third on the team behind Tyler Cropley and Robert Neustrom.

With Neustrom and Cropley now playing in the minor leagues, Crowl was set to be a top returner and a key offensive piece for the Hawkeyes.

Crowl played in 20 games in 2017, making six starts and hitting .061 with a home run and 4 RBIs.