Voters given incorrect information about polling places

Secretary of State’s polling place look up tool gave voters in two precincts incorrect information about polling locations with Iowa City Council Special Primary Election on Tuesday.

Mastura Ibnat, News Reporter

The Johnson County Auditor’s Office has discovered that voters in Iowa City Precinct 13 and Precinct 18 have received incorrect information about polling locations for the City Council primary election.

Voters in Precinct 13 should go to the Prairie Hill Co-Housing common house, 140 Prairie Hill Lane, and voters in Precinct 18 should go to Longfellow Elementary, 1130 Seymour, for the primary on Sept. 4. Voters in both precincts were notified of the changes via registration cards mailed to them in August.

The Secretary of State’s website provides a polling-place search tool for voters. The lookup directed voters in Precincts 13 and 18 to locations used in the past rather than the new polling places for the special election.

Voters in Iowa City Precinct 13 were incorrectly directed to vote at Hawks Ridge apartments, and voters in Precinct 18 were directed to vote at the Kirkwood Avenue Church of Christ.

The City Council primary candidates are Ann Freerks, Ryan Hall, Christine Ralston, Bruce Teague, and Brianna Wills.  Polls will open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.