80/35 gives a musical platform for an organization empowering girls

A special stage at the Des Moines music festival teaches young girls the ins and outs of music.

Girls Rock! Des Moines prepares to take the Gen Z stage at 80/35. (Naomi Hofferber/The Daily Iowan)

Naomi Hofferber, [email protected]

DES MOINES — For young performers, getting a foot on the stage can be a big step, and 80/35 offers a special opportunity to make that happen.

The Gen Z stage at 80/35 is set aside specifically for middle- and high-school-age performers, and some, through the nonprofit organization Girls Rock Des Moines, get the chance to perform on a big stage for the first time.

The Des Moines offshoot of the international organization Girls Rock works with self-identified girls aged 10 to 16 over the course of a two-week summer camp, teaching them about music, forming a band, and self-love.

Monica Bollenbaugh, a music instructor who works with Girls Rock, said the organization works with beginning rockers with little to no experience and gives them opportunities to both perform and record their own CDs.

“We also have some healthy body image going on; we do yoga, self-defense, and we have a morning session called Power Up, where we talk about today’s issues that females face,” she said. “All of this is empowerment through musical education, but it really hard to define empowerment; it’s not something tangible. We try to let them explore what that looks like to them.”

Allegra Hernandez, who has worked with Girls Rock in Des Moines for two years, said the organization specializes with those who have not performed before.

RELATED: 80/35 wraps up first day in Des Moines

“I think we do a really great job of building up that empowerment in that the stage is yours to play on, you can really own your stage,” she said.

Freedom Robbins, a Girls Rock camper who played the Gen Z stage with her band the Sugar Canes in the afternoon of July 7, said the camp has taught her how to play in a group.

“I didn’t really think I could work with others beforehand, but being putting together in bands, especially putting bands together based on their taste in music, really helped me learn how to work with others in music,” she said.

Robbins has played guitar on and off for four years before joining the camp, and she said that despite being new to the group, everyone was very supportive.

“I’m nervous [to perform today], but I’m also doing it with my band,” she said. “I’m not sure what we’re going to perform, if we’re going to perform the same songs, but I feel that since I’m with my band, I have more confidence.”

Naomi Hofferber, Arts Editor
Twitter: @NaomiSHofferber Naomi Hofferber is the current Arts Editor at the DI, and a third year University of Iowa student. She has been with the DI since the start of her freshman year, serving as a news reporter covering city council and social justice issues, before becoming News Editor her sophomore year. As Arts Editor, Naomi...
  • 80/35 gives a musical platform for an organization empowering girls

Renowned Philadelphia Orchestra headlines at Hancher

Arts

Assassins sneak on to the Iowa City Community theater stage

Arts

Your Smith brought emotion, sincerity, and feminine energy to the Mill

Arts

Anthony Worden to celebrate sophomore album release at Trumpet Blossom

The hunt to prove the existence of Sasquatch

Arts

‘Drop the Mic’ leaves an echo in Sanctuary Pub’s Red Room

Arts

MySpace Emo Prom returns to 2007 emo nostalgia

Arts

Turning emotion, into sound, into notes on the Iowa City Ped Mall

Student Spotlight

Kick-starting a career booking big names in music

Arts

Japanese Breakfast an absolute treat at the Mill