Iowa rowing qualifies for nationals

The Hawkeye rowing program continues its upward climb this season with its second-consecutive appearance in NCAA waters.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily
Iowa’s rowing team practices on the Iowa River on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017. The rowing team recently finalized their schedule, with two home competitions on Oct. 6 and 7. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Head coach Andrew Carter has led Iowa to its second-consecutive appearance at the NCAA Championships, its third in program history.

The Hawkeyes are one of 11 teams to earn an at-large berth at the regatta in Sarasota, Florida, on May 25-27. The announcement came May 15 following the various conferences’ regattas. Each of the 11 schools will field a I Varsity 8, a II Varsity 8, and a I Varsity 4 crew.

Iowa is seeded No. 7 in the I 8, No. 8 in the II 8, and No. 14 in the I 4. At the Big Ten Championships, Iowa scored a school-record 111 points to finish fourth, behind Ohio State, Indiana, and Michigan.

Iowa entered this season ranked No. 17 in the coaches’ poll, but strong, consistent performances have earned the team its place among rowing’s best this season. The Hawkeyes climbed as high as No. 7 in the national rankings, and they are currently No. 8 in the USRowing rankings.

Washington is the No. 1 seed, with California and Ohio State at No. 2 and No. 3.