Process works, time for softball to repeat

Iowa's Allison Doocy pitches during the Iowa/Wisconsin softball game at Bob Pearl Field  on Sunday, April 8, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Badgers in the third game of the series, 5-3. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa's Allison Doocy pitches during the Iowa/Wisconsin softball game at Bob Pearl Field on Sunday, April 8, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Badgers in the third game of the series, 5-3. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

James Geerdes, [email protected]

Two weeks ago, Iowa softball dropped three-straight games to a below-average Maryland team. Then, Iowa bats were slow, and errors prevalent.

This past weekend, Iowa looked like a completely different team. Head coach Marla Looper and her squad took three games from a 16-13 Wisconsin team, the first sweep for the Hawkeyes since last year’s series sweep of Nebraska.

This season, Iowa will have another opportunity to sweep the Huskers, who are currently 27-13. Nebraska will host the 18-17 Hawkeyes today in a doubleheader starting at 4 p.m.

“Last time we met Nebraska here, it was super exciting,” senior Angela Schmiederer said. “We’re just hoping to carry that over. It’s a pretty big rivalry between our two schools, so we’re just hoping to stick to the process. Stick to the plan. Hit good pitches, and do what we can on the field. If we do that, we’re going to get some wins.”

That process finally showed against Wisconsin.

Iowa mounted comebacks against the Badgers in Games 2 and 3. In the second, Iowa was trailing by 3 runs in the bottom of the seventh when the squad collected 4 runs to win, 4-3. Game 3, Iowa trailed, 3-2, in the top of the seventh but rallied with 3 runs to win, 5-3.

RELATED: Iowa softball records first season sweep

“I’m excited that we were able to get that done [on Sunday],” Looper said. “We haven’t swept teams in a while. To do that against a good Wisconsin program is not easy to do. They came out ready to fight and battle today, and we knew we’d have a battle on our hands. We stepped up, and we took a couple blows. But we punched back, got the knockout punch.”

Iowa’s hitting has been on-and-off all season, and the team is battling a mere .235. Against Wisconsin, though, the team’s average spiked to .320.

“The girls were doing a good job at times letting the ball get deep and hitting balls they’re supposed to, instead of swinging at bad pitches [and] letting the pitcher fool us,” Looper said.

Nebraska presents another opportunity for Iowa to showcase its newly found hitting. Husker ace pitcher Kaylan Jablonski has a 2.77 ERA and allows her opponents a .266 batting average. If Iowa sees the second pitcher, Olivia Farrell, they will have an even greater chance to hit the ball. Farrell has a 3.58 ERA and allows a .314 batting average.

The real challenge will be pitching for Iowa. After her performances against Wisconsin, sophomore ace Allison Doocy earned her second Big Ten Pitcher of the Week award. As a team, Nebraska is hitting .272, fourth best in the Big Ten.

“Nebraska’s got a really good offensive ballclub, and they swing a good bat,” Looper said. “But I think we can fool them a little bit. We need to be able to go in, and play our game, and not be too consumed with them. But we need to know how to adjust and attack when the opportunity presents itself.”

With Doocy in the circle, and Iowa’s process starting to click, the team feels prepared to take on Nebraska in the midweek doubleheader.

James Geerdes, Sports Reporter
James “Jim” Geerdes is a sports reporter, digital producer, and designer. He is currently  a sophomore. He spent his freshman year covering wresting, softball, and rowing, while also designing for the print newspaper. Comments comments
Lily Smith, Visual Arts Director
The future is bright for Iowa tennis, despite the Hawkeyes losing key seniors this season.
  • Process works, time for softball to repeat

Softball

Iowa softball has been revamped thanks to a partially new coaching staff

Softball

Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Softball coaches bring unique talents to Iowa

Softball

Hawkeye softball eyes revival under Gillispie’s helm

Rick Dillinger named assistant softball coach

Softball

Softball announces fall schedule

Softball

New coaches, new faces, new stats for softball

Softball

Potential for change brightens softball future

Softball

Biggest areas of improvement for Iowa softball

Softball

Softball tabs Gillispie as new head coach