Guest Opinion: Wahls cares about education

Candidate for the Iowa State Legislature and UI alum Zach Wahls speaks to Iowa City residents during the off season gubernatorial Democratic caucuses at Iowa City-West High School on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018. Representatives for candidates such as Fred Hubbell, Nate Boulton, John Norris, and Deidre Dejear were in attendance. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

State Senate candidate Zach Wahls is a strong supporter of public education.

As a resident of Scott Precinct, I proudly support Zach Wahls for Senate District 37. Having been fortunate to know and watch Zach in action while I served on the School Board, I am honored to support such a compassionate and energetic leader. Zach cares deeply about the issues that affect all of us, and he is a strong believer in public education as an opportunity for all children.

RELATED: Former Hawkeye offers new approach to homelessness

Zach’s priorities for innovative education, college readiness, and universal pre-kindergarten education are the issues that speak directly to my heart. He will fight to keep tuition affordable. He will fight for universal pre-kindergarten education. He will fight for keeping our students safe and education accessible for everyone. He will fight for all of us.

RELATED: Iowa Democrats brace weather aiming to oust Republican majority trifecta for the next year

As a person who acts with integrity and thoughtfulness, Zach will be ready to hit the ground running and represent Senate District 37 in the way we need. Please join me in supporting Zach Wahls on June 5.

Patti Fields