Jordan Bohannon’s salute to Chris Street earns national praise

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al
Iowa fans congratulate Jordan Bohannon (3) after the Senior Day men’s basketball game between Iowa and Northwestern at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, Feb. 25, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wildcats 77-70. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Jordan Bohannon’s biggest against Northwestern play came on an intentionally missed free throw.

Iowa point guard Jordan Bohannon made national headlines on Sunday when he intentionally missed a free throw to preserve Chris Street’s school record of consecutive free throws.

With Iowa leading Northwestern by 8 and Bohannon tied with Street at 34-consecutive free throws, the Iowa guard left his shot from the charity stripe short to honor the Hawkeye legend.

The late Street set the record in on Jan. 16, 1993, when Iowa played Duke in Durham, North Carolina, and the record has stood the test of time.

During the game, many wondered if Bohannon had missed the shot on purpose. An 89 percent free-throw shooter, he rarely misses, and when he does, it’s usually not by a lot, unlike his intentional miss.

He confirmed his intention after the game.

The story was featured on national media, including “SportsCenter,” NBC Nightly News, and Bleacher Report.

Bohannon, however, wasn’t expecting the miss to make national news.

“It does surprise me,” he said. “I was just doing what was right to me. I didn’t think much of it at the time. I didn’t think it was going to take off as much as it did, but I’m honestly glad it did, because it deserves to be known that the record deserves to stay in his name.”

— Pete Ruden