Guest opinion: Andy McGuire for governor

Dr. Andy McGuire poses for a portrait at the Java House on Friday, Oct. 6, 2017. Dr. McGuire is campaigning in Iowa's upcoming gubernatorial elections. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by James

The Daily Iowan; Photos by James

A UI political-science student supports Andy McGuire’s gubernatorial campaign.

Andy McGuire is an Iowa native. She is a scientist and physician. She is a mother of seven. She is the former head of the Iowa Democratic Party, and she is running for governor.

I am a political-science student at the University of Iowa, and I stand with McGuire for governor because I know she has what it takes to spur great progress in our state. As a doctor, health care that is affordable for all Iowans is extremely important to her.

RELATED: McGuire Targets working-class families

As governor, McGuire will focus on reducing health-care costs, fixing our state’s Medicaid system, making mental health a priority, and protecting women’s health rights.

McGuire supports early identification of health issues through preventive care to lower the amount of medical services that patients need, thereby leading to lower health-care costs. She also understands the importance of Iowa’s Medicaid program but does not neglect to recognize the work needed to repair it where it is broken.

RELATED: Guest Opinion: Gubernatorial candidate advocates for mental health awareness 

McGuire released a seven-point plan in December to address mental health in Iowa, which now ranks last in the country for the number of psychiatric beds per capita. She emphasizes the importance of treating mental health, substance abuse, and addiction as diseases, and as governor, she will make funding for mental-health treatment a priority. In addition, McGuire denounces the anti-choice legislation that has been signed into Iowa law by the Branstad-Reynolds administration and promises to restore funding for Planned Parenthood on her first day in office.

There is no better time for progress than the present. McGuire represents that progress — not just for Iowa but for the future of our country. With a leader such as McGuire as governor, we can look forward to the change that is needed to make for happier, healthier, and safer citizens.

— Elizabeth Zupancic

• Guest opinion: Andy McGuire for governor

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: 2018 should be an education election

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Americans understand the value of free trade

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: The UI Labor Center and its educational mission for Iowans

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: UI student deeply upset by UI’s closing of the Labor Center

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Prioritize children’s health and environment over cosmetic lawn pesticides

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: City councilor speaks out against pushback on downtown high rise

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Claims of University of Iowa animal abuse are unfounded

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Gubernatorial candidate Glasson will create positive change

Guest opinion

Guest Opinion: Fetal heartbeat law devalues medicine and Iowa women

Guest opinion

Guest opinion: Support young Johnson County farmers’ land access