‘Let the best man win’ as Iowa faces off at Midlands

Iowa's 184-pound Cash Wilcke wrestles during the first session of the 55th Annual Midlands Championships in the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, on Friday, Dec. 29, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

James Geerdes, [email protected]

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. — Some of the top wrestlers in the country will meet today in the final portion of the Midlands Championships.

Returning Midlands champions Brandon Sorensen and Michael Kemerer have proved to be exciting wrestlers throughout the tournament, while heavyweight Sam Stoll has bulldozed his way through his weight class.

Perhaps more exciting, a Spencer Lee and Nick Suriano matchup is a very real possibility, but a guaranteed bout will feature Jacob Warner and Cash Wilcke.

Hawkeyes Warner and Wilcke will square off in Iowa’s lone intrasquad matchup in the semifinals of the 197-pound bracket. The pair wrestled competitively in Iowa’s wrestle-offs when true freshman Warner pulled off a 4-3 decision over the sophomore.

Warner has had a successful season while wrestling unattached this year. He upset No. 2 Willie Miklus of Missouri at the Lindenwood Open. And at Midlands, Warener beat 5th-ranked Jacob Smith of West Virginia in the quarterfinals, 3-1.

Wilcke is a returning All-American and is ranked eighth in the nation. Head coach Tom Brands said he will not remove Warner’s redshirt with Wilcke in the lineup.

“Wilcke’s doing a great job, and no matter what happens, we like both those guys, we’re happy with both of them,” head coach Tom Brands said. “I’ll say this: Let the best man win.”

Click below for more photos

James Geerdes, Sports Reporter
James “Jim” Geerdes is a sports reporter, digital producer, and designer. He is currently  a sophomore. He spent his freshman year covering wresting, softball, and rowing, while also designing for the print newspaper. Comments comments
  • ‘Let the best man win’ as Iowa faces off at Midlands

Football

Iowa linebacker Nick Niemann to miss time with leg injury

Hawkeye wrestling’s Sam Stoll suspended for season-opener

Football

Here are the answers to 4 questions we had before the Hawkeye football season

Football

Quarterbacks step up as Big Ten play gains momentum

Football

By the numbers: Iowa football and the offense

Sports

Iowa volleyball on track with motto

Football

Iowa football’s road to the Big Ten championship is a long one

Football

Point-Counterpoint: Who will win the Big Ten West?

Baseball

Iowa baseball moves on following departures

Soccer

By the Numbers: Iowa soccer’s defense