UI a cappella groups unite for passionate performance

The University of Iowa’s four a cappella groups — UI Old Gold, Iowa Agni, Intersection, and Iowa Hawkapellas — come together for a special performance.

Intersection performs during the Acapella Fall Festival in the IMU Main Lounge on Monday, Nov. 13, 2017. The four groups performed a mix of the Penatonix, Hozier, Sia, and Florence and the Machine. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

Brooklyn Draisey, [email protected]

The University of Iowa’s a cappella groups came together on Monday for a night of fun and collaboration.

The four a cappella groups — UI Old Gold, Iowa Agni, Intersection, and Iowa Hawkapellas — came together for a special performance in the IMU before their winter performances. The event was coordinated by Old Gold, and club President Javon Stovall hosted.

The Iowa Hawkapellas kicked off the night with a performance of the “Just the Way You Are”/“Just a Dream” mashup first featured in Pitch Perfect. The all-female group belted their way through three pieces, ending with another Pitch Perfect classic, “Flashlight.”

Iowa Agni, the resident South Asian fusion a cappella group, performed next. Its first two songs were mashups in more way than one: The members mixed pieces together and sang sections in different languages.

After a 10-minute intermission, Old Gold performed its three pieces, each featuring one or two soloists.

UI sophomore and Old Gold member Kaylen Luttenegger said she has always loved singing, and she participated in show choir while in high school. She joined the traditional university choir her first semester but she said she missed the performance aspect and decided to try out for Old Gold.

“It’s really what I was looking for in that it’s a great group of outgoing and introverted people that I can connect with through a mutual love, and I am really proud of the stuff we manage to put together,” Luttenegger said.

This year also marks Old Gold’s 60th anniversary, which, Luttenegger said, makes this performance even more special.

RELATED: Hawkeye Marching Band introduced its first ever female drum major

Intersection, the only all-male a cappella group, rounded out the night with its three songs, ending with a rendition of “Take Me to Church,” by Hozier, that got everyone clapping along.

Before the concert, it was announced there would be a surprise at the end of the night.

That surprise turned out to be a collaboration among all four groups. The performance of “Love on Top,” by Beyoncé, featured a different singer for each key change.

Luttenegger said collaborations among the groups such as this one help them represent a united front of people who have a passion for music and performance.

“It’s just a good way to show that no matter what group you’re in, we all have a same love, and we want to share that with everybody,” she said.

UI student Carissa Bailey said she came to the concert to support some of the really great talent at the university, and she wasn’t disappointed.

“I enjoyed the performances very much; it was a really great way to spend an evening away from studying,” she said.

Stovall said the groups were only able to practice together twice before the performance, and it came together perfectly.

“It way exceeded my expectations … with events “like this ,” my anxiety level gets really high starting the week before, then I walk in, and I’m like ‘oh my god, here it is’, then they start singing, and everything gets better,” Stovall said.

Luttenegger noted that despite the difficulty in lining up schedules, it’s all worth it.

Brooklyn Draisey, News Editor
Brooklyn Draisey is a News Editors at the DI. She started at the DI her freshman year as a news reporter, covering a variety of topics. Comments comments
  • UI a cappella groups unite for passionate performance

Renowned Philadelphia Orchestra headlines at Hancher

Arts

Assassins sneak on to the Iowa City Community theater stage

Arts

Your Smith brought emotion, sincerity, and feminine energy to the Mill

Arts

Anthony Worden to celebrate sophomore album release at Trumpet Blossom

The hunt to prove the existence of Sasquatch

Arts

‘Drop the Mic’ leaves an echo in Sanctuary Pub’s Red Room

Arts

MySpace Emo Prom returns to 2007 emo nostalgia

Arts

Turning emotion, into sound, into notes on the Iowa City Ped Mall

Student Spotlight

Kick-starting a career booking big names in music

Arts

Japanese Breakfast an absolute treat at the Mill