Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Iowa defensive back Brandon Snyder crosses the goal line after returning an interception for an 89 yard touchdown during the Iowa/Illinois football game on Saturday, 7 Oct. 2017. Iowa won the game 45 to 16. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, [email protected]

It’s been fewer than six months since Brandon Snyder tore his ACL in the spring, but for anyone watching him play on Oct. 7, that was not apparent.

Snyder had an outstanding return to the gridiron, racking up 3 tackles, 2 pass breakups, and a huge 89-yard Pick-6 to boost Iowa in its 45-16 Homecoming win over Illinois.

In the third quarter, the Hawkeyes were beating the Illini 17-13, but Illinois was threatening at the Iowa 22. An Illini touchdown certainly would have turned the tide of the game.

But Illinois quarterback Jeff George Jr. overthrew his intended target and put the ball right into Snyder’s hands. Thanks to some good blocks, he raced 89 yards to score his first career touchdown.

“It’s just a really cool moment, just to run into a stand full of Iowa fans,” Snyder said. “It’s a great way to come back, that’s for sure.”

He arrived on the scene as a starter last season, taking over for team captain Jordan Lomax at free safety.

After an impressive 2016 season in which he led the team with 3 forced fumbles and shared the team lead with 3 interceptions, Snyder was set to be one of only two returning starters in a secondary that was a strength of last year’s team.

RELATED: Alumni come home to Hawkeye win

Then injury struck. Many thought Snyder was going to miss the entire season, but he never wavered.

Jake Gervase and Amani Hooker did a solid job in taking over for Snyder, but there’s something about his presence that changes the complexion of the Hawkeye defense.

“I love Brandon. He represents what we stand for as a program. He does everything right,” running back Akrum Wadley said. “Every game he wasn’t in uniform, I could see it in his eyes how badly he wanted to go out there. For him to stay true to his game, just keep going, and he had a great day, so we’re all proud.”

Many Hawkeye defensive backs raved about Snyder even when he wasn’t on the field. While rehabbing, he stayed by his group’s side, serving as a leader while helping the secondary succeed.

Snyder used his absence to teach his teammates, but he isn’t the only one.

Impressed by his play and comeback ability after such a debilitating injury, head coach Kirk Ferentz is prepared to use the story in the future.

“For him to get back on the field in such a short amount of time like that, that’s remarkable,” Ferentz said. “Then for him to give us the spark he did today, that’ll be a great teaching moment for anybody that has an injury.”

It was originally a devastating injury, but after grinding away and preparing to get back, Snyder made the most of his opportunity. However, he credits more than just himself.

“I’m a big believer in my faith, and I’m a big believer in God, and I think that He created this and it’s from Him, and I believe that He’s the One who got me through it,” Snyder said. “I know that I wouldn’t have been able to do it day after day if it weren’t for my faith.”

Click below for more photos

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor
Pete Ruden is the Sports Editor at the DI, where he has worked since the beginning of his college career. He has covered a variety of sports at the DI, including football, men’s basketball, baseball, wrestling, and men’s tennis. Currently a junior, he served as a sports reporter his freshman year, before becoming the Assistant Sports Editor his...
  • Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Football

Iowa linebacker Nick Niemann to miss time with leg injury

• Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Football

Here are the answers to 4 questions we had before the Hawkeye football season

• Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Football

Quarterbacks step up as Big Ten play gains momentum

• Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Football

By the numbers: Iowa football and the offense

• Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Football

Iowa football’s road to the Big Ten championship is a long one

• Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Football

Point-Counterpoint: Who will win the Big Ten West?

• Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Former Hawkeye C.J. Beathard takes over for 49ers

• Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Football

Hensley: The Big Ten West is Wisconsin’s to lose now

• Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

DITV

DITV Football: Sept 25, 2018

• Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Football

Hornibrook’s big day against Hawkeye football comes at a big time